How to stop diarrea?

my son has bad diarrea and for two days then stops then two more days after it stops it comes back worse than he had it before.

AngelicJenny

Asked by AngelicJenny at 10:59 AM on Mar. 26, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• The way to treat toddler diarrhea is with diet. I just went through this last week with both of my toddlers. The can only have water or pedialyte to drink...no juices of any kind! You cannot feed any dairy at all until the diarrhea has been gone for a full 24 hours. You should only feed starches (rice, bread, potato, and corn are what my pediatrician recommended). The only fruit he can have is banana until the diarrhea has been gone 5 hours, then he can also have apple. If he has more than 8 bowel movements in 1 hour then he needs to go to the ER, other than that you treat with diet and give plenty of water and 1 serving of pedialyte 4 times a day.
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 11:07 AM on Mar. 26, 2010

• Yeah, it's called the B.R.A.T. diet. Meaning: bananas, rice cereal, applesauce and toast. No milk, lots of water and Pedialyte.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 11:12 AM on Mar. 26, 2010

• my daughter just had diarrea pretty bad, the doctor said the only thing to do is, dont give her any food (solids) for 6- 8 hours to let her stomach settle and only give her pedialyte.. she was better the next day.
    jnc10501

Answer by jnc10501 at 1:37 PM on Mar. 26, 2010

• I swear by the B.R.A.T diet!
    Anonymous

• The BRAT diet is great but if it's been going on a few days try adding some kids pro-biotic powder to oj. It's Flora something for kids. the pharmacist will know what I'm talking about. It's not cheap but it works! It's like 10 dollars for 10 packets. YOu give them 2 times a day but will only need it like 2-3 days.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 3:00 PM on Mar. 26, 2010

• B.R.A.T. does help. Quick way: flour, water, and cinimon to taste. Table spoon of flour and use the water to create a cookie ball. Roll that in cinimon and sugar to taste. It works. And it doesn't really hurt anything even if you don't find it to be helpful. Works everytime for us.
    frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 2:38 PM on Mar. 27, 2010