• In the Spotlight:

Anyone have a MIL that always causes trouble??

my mil is always causing trouble in our family w/ me and my husband and i finally have had enough. she really got bad when our baby was born. she is spanish and i am not and knows that i feel uncomfortable when she speaks it in front of me caus e i dont understand it. She also speaks english but apparently when there is a family function, etc. and i am sitting right there she will speak to whomever in spanish. I was in the hospital and just came out of a c-section and she came into our room and started speaking spanish to the baby saying how she is going to teach her etc, and that put me over the top. Then she was overbearing and always wanted to come over..day after hospital i wanted no company, not even my mom cause i was in so much paid and boy did that start problems. How does anyone else handle a MIL that drives u nuts?? :(

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:31 AM on Mar. 26, 2010 in Relationships

• No, my MIL has been a life saver again and again. She's truly awesome and I'm lucky!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:35 AM on Mar. 26, 2010

• I would explain to ur mil you don't appreciate her speaking spanish when you are around and out of respect for you speak english that's ridiculous and coming over after you got home from the hospital maybe she came to help you knowing you were in pain I wouldn't complain about that but to me you are just feeling disrespected due to the language barrier if it makes you feel uncomfortable say something to her.
    chica679

Answer by chica679 at 12:07 PM on Mar. 26, 2010

• My former MIL drove me nuts. She told me when I found out I was pregnant with my DD that she was going to be in the delivery room no matter what. I told her no and that my own mother wasn't even going to be in there when I had my daughter (both my mother and I agreed that it was a special time for me and the father). She locked herself in my bathroom and banged her head on the door for awhile before my ex yelled at her to stop. She tried to name my daughter. I had her name picked out as soon as I knew it was a girl. She tried to get me to pick something else and I told her no (she named her first born grandson and thought I would give her rights to name her first born granddaughter). I wouldn't give in to her and she hated it. She4 even tried to get me and the ex back together after our divorce. It didn't work and I no longer talk to them.
    NikLvsNick

Answer by NikLvsNick at 12:12 PM on Mar. 26, 2010

• My MIL drives me insane with how clingy she is with my DH. He's not and only child and he's not the "baby". He's actually the oldest. But she refuses to let go. I've gotten to where she does start poking her nose out where it doesn't belong, I just tell my DH and let him handle it. About the only way she will half way listen
    Anonymous