when did you start?

When did you start potty training your little one? My daughter will be 2 in june and I want to start potty training but i dont know where to begin, ive never done this before!!! She knows where her potty is and sits on it nakey while i go pee and then just runs around naked screaming that shes naked and pees on the floor!!!!! Or shell sit on it with clothes on and say pee pee but it seems shes just playing with this idea!

Kennadismom

Asked by Kennadismom at 11:45 AM on Mar. 26, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• My daughter used to scream at the age of two whenever she peed in her diaper. We got her a potty chair and we made her sit on it every hour for about 10 minutes. If she had an accident she would cry and we would tell her its ok and she started letting us know when she had to go. It took about 2 months and she was fullly potty trained and didn't have any more accidents.
    angel1332

Answer by angel1332 at 11:50 AM on Mar. 26, 2010

• I started at age 2.5 when he showed readiness signs:

He could tell me he had to go. ( he wouldn't at first, but, the ability helps)
    He could pull his pants up and down (again, won't at first, but, go to have)
    He wasn't scared of it at all
    He stayed dry through nap(at least 2 hours)

BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 12:04 PM on Mar. 26, 2010

• This is how to start:
    Take about a week. Make sure there are no distractions, no place to go, nothing. Wake her up and tell her, Let's go potty. Have her sit on the potty and try to go. Tell her to try to go. She either does or doesn't go. Let her sit only about 5 or 10 minutes. Then, let her go play, in underwear. 30 minutes later, take her by the hand and say, Let's go try to potty. Have her sit again. 5-10 and then up. Repeat all day for the week. She should be close to trained after the week. If she does good with 30 minutes between, then increase to 40. If she does good with that, up it to 50. She should start going on her own once you have progressed this far. She will have her pottying on a schedule. LOL This should take care of day and night should naturally develope along with this, but, maybe a little after
    BradenIsMySon

• She may not be ready, However.... introducing her to it is a great thing. You're doing great.

Your on the right start...
    Remember to make it interesting, to make it fun.
    Be SUPER consistent. That can make or break potty training.
    Use a timer to help you know when to take her, and go yourself.

Go to the bookstore and pick out a few books your young'n really likes. Call them potty books, and she could read them only when she sat on the potty.

Lastly remember accidents happen... when they do take her to the toilet, and remind her this is where you go.
    Skepticchick

Answer by Skepticchick at 12:05 PM on Mar. 26, 2010

• This is what I did when mine was showing the signs that she was ready:

Got poster board, markers, stickers(fun kind, let her pick them out), then some of those "great job!" and "You Rock!" stickers, went home and drew a giant 1 month calendar on the poster board. I drew her name huge and let her decorate it with the markers and the fun stickers she picked out. Every single time she went potty, #1 or #2, she got an encouraging sticker to put on that day. When she went #1, she would get 1 tootsie roll. When she went #2, she got 2. She didn't get ANY other candy while I was doing this, as to not confuse her.

My son, who was already potty trained, saw me doing this with her, so I did it for him too. They had a lot of fun and she only took 5 days to train. She would still need a pull-up at night, but she's finally out of those and hardly has any accidents.
    Good luck!
    clhadley

Answer by clhadley at 12:19 PM on Mar. 26, 2010

• I started my son early. He was 18 months. I would make him sit on the potty every 30 minutes and everytime i thought he was going in his diaper. When he started using the potty I would give him a treat like an M&M or a sticker and praise him for the good job. He is now 29 months and he only has accidents about 1 time a week and at night he's dry about 1-2 times a week.

Also, i started pottly training in the summer, when I was between jobs, and i let him run around naked so that it was easy access to the potty.
    ancpwr

Answer by ancpwr at 2:17 PM on Mar. 26, 2010