Drama, drama, now the kid is getting up in the middle of the night and deleting computer history...... wth to do?

My 22 year old lives with me. Pays no rent, buys no groceries, does not help out in any financial way. He has been coming home stoned and munching every dang thing in the house - and NOW he's started getting up in the middle of the night and when I get up in the morning I find that my computer's internet history has been deleted. I'm losing all sorts of crap - like my CM username and password, hotmail username - I mean all that is minor but it's aggravating in that this is MY house and MY computer.... I've been looking for a job in another city and sometimes I rely on my internet history to go back to jobsites, etc that I visited days before, or to recall a job I applied for. Yeah, I could bookmark every freaking site I visit - but that just clutters up my bookmarks. Point is - this is my laptop, I bought it, I pay for the internet and I'm sick of being "put out" because he wants to hide something. What to do??

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:49 AM on Mar. 26, 2010 in Relationships

• Put a password protect on it.
    Tell him to start taking responsibility or get out. Don't enable him. Don't put up with it. He won't learn responsibility if you keep letting him get away with it.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 12:04 PM on Mar. 26, 2010

• Put the laptop where he can't get it? Put a password on it so he can't access it? Those are all I can think of.
    tropicalmama

Answer by tropicalmama at 11:50 AM on Mar. 26, 2010

• Well I'd be asking him about his plans to either get a job or get out. Tell him to go back to school or volunteer or do something bc life doesn't give free rides. You are enabling him by not making him be responsible for himself. Tell him he can get govt housing for free but mom's house isn't.

Answer by admckenzie at 11:52 AM on Mar. 26, 2010

• password protect it...
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 11:52 AM on Mar. 26, 2010

• typingThe library lets him use their computer for free so he needs to hang out there.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:53 AM on Mar. 26, 2010

• i will say the same thing as i said to my mom about my brother, kick him out. He is a grown man not a child.
    kd2kds

Answer by kd2kds at 11:53 AM on Mar. 26, 2010

• I would pack his bags, put them outside when he is out. And change my locks. Then, tell him, since you can't like a semi-responsible adult, you will no longer be living here in my house. You don't pay for food, bills..you come home stoned, you eat all my food without replacing it and you don't repect boundries on MY computer, not do you respect me or MY house. So, Act like and adult, find a job, a house and get a life. You are not allowed back in here until you get it together.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 11:56 AM on Mar. 26, 2010

• kick him out. two weeks notice. meanwhile, take the computer into your bed room and lock your door at night.
    mrsmostafa

Answer by mrsmostafa at 12:02 PM on Mar. 26, 2010

• Couple of things. He is probably erasing the history because of what HE is looking at. Tell him it's acting funny, so you're taking in to a computer geex place because they told you that the history is never really deleted. They want to check out the activity on the computer to see if there are any viruses. Maybe this will scare him.

Also, kick his butt out! I know that it's probably hard, but he's not respecting you or your home. He can go couch surf at a friends house. Take control and get him out of there.
    clhadley

Answer by clhadley at 12:28 PM on Mar. 26, 2010

• It sounds like the computer history is your last straw, but I think the reall issues are these: My 22 year old lives with me. Pays no rent, buys no groceries, does not help out in any financial way. He has been coming home stoned and munching every dang thing in the house 

I agree with the other ladies.  It is time for him to act like an adult.  I would definitely give him a deadline for finding a job and finding his own place.  I wouldn't even give him the option of staying and cleaning up his act because I think he needs to face reallity all by himself without a safety net.  Until he moves out I would either put a password on the computer or keep it in your room at night.  I know (ok I assume since I haven't had to do it) it's not easy kicking your own child out, but really it is for his own good.  GL!

Anonymous