3 things stood out at me today in P&CE. What about you?

3 things that stuck out when I logged online today:

1. N. & S. Korea possibly shooting at each other.
2. Jobless claims fall, raising recovery hopes.
3. Stocks have been rising steadily the past few days.

South Korea is investigating whether a naval ship sinking off the west coast of the peninsula was hit by a torpedo fired by the North.

The number of U.S. workers filing new applications for unemployment insurance fell sharply last week, boosting hopes of recovery in the labor market.

About five stocks rose for every two that fell on the New York Stock Exchange

Links in reply below.

NightPhoenix

Asked by NightPhoenix at 11:50 AM on Mar. 26, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• Not all the news is good. The fighting Koreas makes me wonder if theU.S. will involve itself more than it already is. I have a close friend in the military over there, and I really worry about him. On a good note, stocks, as we all know, ebb and flow. The growth is slow but it is there, and climbing. Even better news is that unemployment numbers are at the lowest since 2005. I know we want all people to be employed, but reality says it's not going to happen. I'm glad to see the jobless claims fall the way they have been.

S. Korean ship sinks  Jobless claims fall  Stocks rising

NightPhoenix

Answer by NightPhoenix at 11:53 AM on Mar. 26, 2010

• Whenever there is a war or potential for war, stocks rise and the economy does too....you know the big guys have always said that"all you need is a war" to fund the economy. SICK, but true.
    Lindalu2

Answer by Lindalu2 at 11:56 AM on Mar. 26, 2010

• Sad but true, Linda.
    NightPhoenix

Answer by NightPhoenix at 11:56 AM on Mar. 26, 2010

• Even better news is that unemployment numbers are at the lowest since 2005

No they aren't. They are the lowest since December 2008...  The report included annual revisions to the weekly unemployment claims seasonal factors going back to 2005.  

They revised the factors from 2005. NOT that UE lnumbers are at their lowers.  Did you read your own article?

grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 12:28 PM on Mar. 26, 2010

• My husband is serving in Korea right now. I was fortunate enough to travel there for nearly a month last summer. I quickly learned the glamorizing of the US/UK media hype. The US military isn't at heightened alert in Korea. Till that happens, I have no worries.

grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 12:30 PM on Mar. 26, 2010

• Stocks are still relatively cheap. The housing market is in horrible dissarray. Investments are damn near the only place to put your money for investment purposes... No one is investing in the US government or US Housing Industry....
    grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 12:34 PM on Mar. 26, 2010

• grlygrlz, why all the doom, gloom, and despair? Lower unemployment claims = good. But, no. You had to argue "no, it's not the lowest since '05.....". Stocks up = good. What did you say? "they're relatively cheap. housing market in horrible dissaray..."
    Can the glass be half full for once?
    Anonymous

agree

sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 12:48 PM on Mar. 26, 2010

• My question about jobless claims is this, what about all of us who ran out of benefits a long time ago and have yet to find a job, or are working part-time because we cannot find full-time work? I'm not trying to be a downer, but there are a lot of people who are unemployed and not receiving benefits. The initial claims fell, meaning not as many people are losing jobs as in past months, but there are still a lot of unemployed and underemployed people out there. I don't find this as encouraging as those of you with a job may find it...

Anonymous

• My question about jobless claims is this, what about all of us who ran out of benefits a long time ago and have yet to find a job, or are working part-time because we cannot find full-time work?

That's the U-6 number, and it went up, not down. I put a link to it in the other question below this about 5-6 years until we get back to normal unemployment. The U-6 number went from 16.5% unemployed to 16.8%. I'm sure the troll will have an issue with that number, too, though, because there's really no way to spin 1/5 of the country being unemployed into a glass half full if you have the slightest grasp on what that means in terms of secondary impact.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 1:19 PM on Mar. 26, 2010