If your state were try and legalize marijuana what would be your vote and why?

I think I'm going to vote NO when CA votes in November. I agree that it would significantly help the state out of debt, that it should be controlled just like the use of alcohol and age limits should be strictly enforced, but at the same time I don't even want to imagine how many people would be stoned all the time let alone while driving, etc., the thought of it even remotely more accessible to and around my kid makes me sick plus it would take me a while to not consider it a "drug". I am however 100% for medical use if it really does help some people.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:59 AM on Mar. 26, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• Against.
    Because if I start smoking pot again I am going to be really really silly on a daily basis and CM will close my account.
    :)
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 12:01 PM on Mar. 26, 2010

• i agree with everything you just said. and im a former pothead.
    PURPULbutterfly

Answer by PURPULbutterfly at 12:03 PM on Mar. 26, 2010

• against.....I don't go along with the "everybody does it" kind of mentality that I see so many people have....
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 12:04 PM on Mar. 26, 2010

• Yes. Its a natural plant and has health benefits to those with certain issues. Plus it would help with overcrowding in the jail system for petty things like marijuana possession. Alcohol is so much worse than marijuana maybe it should be illegal!

kjfamily

Answer by kjfamily at 12:06 PM on Mar. 26, 2010

• I'd vote for it.

I don't really care if the number of people who get high increases, I don't see why that would cause me to say no. Many more people abuse prescription medicine than they do marijuana and yet we don't make it illegal. I think that's a double standard (and a dangerous one considering how much more dangerous prescription drugs are than marijuana). Driving under the influence of marijuana is illegal, I doubt that would change with the legalizing of it. However, no matter how the gov't has spinned it in the past, a high driver is very unlikely to speed up quickly. Their reflexes are slow, they will likely be very slow. But once high, the effort it would take to actually get up and get in your car wouldn't be one a lot of people would make. It does make you lazy (for the most part).

Anyway, I'd be for it. Bring in money for the state and allow the use of it to become safer.
    Anonymous

• I too am against. I smoked it in high school, discovered it made me puke so I quit. But I've seen first hand what it can do to people, the way it messes up their lives, my DS included. I don't believe the people that claim that it doesn't open doors to other drugs either. For some people, maybe it doesn't, but for most of them-it's a gateway to other things.
    daisy521

Answer by daisy521 at 12:08 PM on Mar. 26, 2010

• ABOVE the influence here.

However I'm not so sure how it would affect my society. I think you should just do more research, of the pro's and the con's prior to voting.

Great question though!
    Skepticchick

Answer by Skepticchick at 12:08 PM on Mar. 26, 2010

• I will vote yes.
    It's illegality is wrong on several levels. The "reefer madness" is just silly.
    Prohibition is not working and it's one of the things that is putting our country in debt.
    The people who want to smoke are doing it already, regardless of its legality.
    Did you know that California is ranked 32nd in child/teen use of marijuana? So much lower than many states where it is still fully illegal. In states where it is legal/decriminalized, there is less use than in states where it is still illegal.
    Our prisons are filled to the brim with non-violent 'criminals,' and expensive PRIVATIZED prisons have been built to hold more! In the mean time, VIOLENT criminals are being let loose.

I could go on, and on, and on...and maybe I will, later.
    Anonymous

• i'm against it
    eva123

Answer by eva123 at 12:12 PM on Mar. 26, 2010

• Im for it. Honestly? Its as addicting as cigs and as dehabilitating as alcohol....so why not?
    shortycmlb

Answer by shortycmlb at 12:18 PM on Mar. 26, 2010