is it normal for a 21 month old not want to eat ANYTHING!?

My 21 month old son for about a week now doesn't want to eat anything. i have tried fruits, veggies, meats, spaghetti, hotdog, i even got desperate and tried junk food...my son is turning everything down! I have tried just leaving the plate and leaving the room only to return with it on the floor or thrown around the room. he isn't as active as what he was either, i take him outside and he will run around but then he tires quickly and wants to go back in which is very unlike him....idk....any ideas....

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:11 PM on Mar. 26, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Yeah my 16 month old does the same thing. I swear all he'll have is milk for a couple of days sometimes. Apparently you're supposed to average their food over a week. As long as you get something in them and the dr. isn't worried it's normal.
    mrsjonzy

Answer by mrsjonzy at 12:37 PM on Mar. 26, 2010

• Kids go through phases like this. They won't starve themselves. The only thing you can do is just continue to give him a plate full of food. He will eat it eventually.
    clhadley

Answer by clhadley at 12:30 PM on Mar. 26, 2010

• I would have him checked for anemia first, if it is low, I would have him tested for Celiac Disease. Out of 5 children, only one of my children ever turned down food for any length of time, and it was because she has Celiac's. Food with wheat in it (almost everything) makes their tummies hurt, and makes them feel sick, so they refuse to eat. If you have anymore questions about Celiac's, you are welcome to PM me! :) Undiagnosed Celiac's often leads to diabetes. One in 20 diabetics has Celiac's.
    singnstitch

Answer by singnstitch at 12:54 PM on Mar. 26, 2010

• My daughter does the same thing. Is he drinking? I try sneaking stuff in her milk by making a smoothie. I put peaunut butter and yogurt and bananas in it. I call it princess milk and put it in her favorite cup. It seems to help.
    GraciesMommy25

Answer by GraciesMommy25 at 7:22 AM on Mar. 27, 2010

• yes indeed it is very normal for kids to go through a not eating stage. he will eat when he is hungary. just keep up what your doing and you will get through it.
    tarapatton

Answer by tarapatton at 7:54 AM on Mar. 27, 2010