What to say to those who give toys to your toddler to make her stop crying?

I reprimanded my toddler for running away from me while I was waiting for the Doctor to see us. While pacing with my toddler who wouldn't stop crying because I wouldn't let him go....then I see the nurse bringing a toy for my son. He stop crying but he started again. Why did I get upset with the nurse but I couldn't tell her to back off?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:13 PM on Mar. 26, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I'll tell you what, I know what this anon OP is talking about. not ALL toddlers are distracted by common toys they have at home or an activity bag used exclusively for appts..or food or drinks.. My son is just like this. He HATES being at the Doctor and he gets unconsolable there.. for whatever reason, I don't know. but I have tried a ton of suggestions that don't work.. but I also won't run around and chase him or let him get in to things he shouldn't be in to at the Dr's office and I am not waiting outside with a sick child either.. so sometimes.. People just have to listen to the crying.,, not all babies/toddlers are easy.. believe me!!
    Anonymous

• She was doing her job. She doesn't know he was in trouble, she was trying to keep your baby from disturbing the whole building. Maybe you should have taken him out side for a sec until he stopped crying.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 12:15 PM on Mar. 26, 2010

• Why should everyone else have to listen to your screaming kid? You should have said Thank You.
    Anonymous

• A lot of people try to distract a child at that age just like you were trying to distract him by pacing with him.It sounds like she was just trying to help you,not undermine you as a parent. But if things like that really disturb, turn away and don't let them hand him a toy and say no, thankyou and leave it at that.
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 12:24 PM on Mar. 26, 2010

I'm with this poster. I think that it is expected for children to cry at the Doctor's Office. Specially when they get the shots. Perhaps the nurse didn't know what was going on. Or she had so much time on her hands. I used to work at Drs office and I wouldn't think of intruding patients like that.
    Energ8zr

Answer by Energ8zr at 12:41 PM on Mar. 26, 2010

• Perhaps he was trying to run from you because he was bored. Offering him a distraction might not have only quieted him down at that moment but kept him from running. Perhaps she was trying to help - not undermine you.

Mine are no longer toddlers. However, when I go anywhere that might involve a wait, I bring an activity bag for each of them. We've done this SINCE they were toddlers. They don't run. They don't cry. They don't climb the walls. They're too busy coloring and playing their 'only in that bag' toys. maybe create something to bring with you.
    Anonymous

• I also think distraction is a great technique. And he probably was crying because he knew he was at the doctor where he has had previous scary painful experiences. I realize it may be frustrating when someone else interferes with what you are trying to do but sometimes it may be for the best to just let it go. Hey, life is all a learning process. Don't stress!
    hollysybb

Answer by hollysybb at 2:08 PM on Mar. 26, 2010

• Anon, that may be true, but, she can't be pissed off at the nurse. The nurse is just trying to help. She doesn't know your kid. To get pissed at her is pointless.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 3:33 PM on Mar. 26, 2010