How did you pick a name for grandma?

When I had my son I was 22 and my mom was 47. She still refuses to be called "grandma" because she says she is too young. So, for the first year of my son's life she called herself "Aunt". This is ridiculous to me but anyway she decided she doesn't need to be called Aunt anymore but she still refuses Grandma or Granny or anything close to it. So right now I don't call her anything to my son I just refer to her as "she" but he's going to be talking soon and I don't want him to be confused. Should I just wait and see what he comes up with? Or has anyone been in a similar situation that can give me some advice?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:14 PM on Mar. 26, 2010 in Relationships

• My mom chose to be called Nonnie. I was 19 and she was 40.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 12:17 PM on Mar. 26, 2010

• Ask your mom what she wants to be called and start using that. Your son may come up with something different or add a different twist to what ever she chooses, but at least you'll have a consistent way to identify her in the mean time. A lot of people make some sort of special nickname for grandma that may use her name in some way or may represent grandma in a different language. I have the problem that my mom, my MIL, and my husband's step mom all prefer Granny, which is confusing to my kids.
    Anonymous

• My Mom's intial's are DD so she can't say Grandma DD so she just calls her DD! Good luck to you!
    MayMommy07

Answer by MayMommy07 at 12:19 PM on Mar. 26, 2010

• My husband and his brother call one of their grandmothers Mim-Mim because when they were little she always had M&M's for them in her purse, and the way they pronounced M&M's sounded like Mim-Mim.
    Anonymous

• My kids couldn't say "grandma" yet, so they called her Beama...still do. She love it.
    clhadley

Answer by clhadley at 12:24 PM on Mar. 26, 2010

• ANON 12:21...that is cute. If it were my son, she would have been called N E M(prn In-ee-em). That is how he pronounced it.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 12:24 PM on Mar. 26, 2010

• In our family we had many different names for Grandma.... Nannie, Gram, Maw Maw, Mee Maw, GG, Oma....
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 12:28 PM on Mar. 26, 2010

• When our first grandchild was born, the parents wanted to know what we wanted to be called. My husband wanted to be called Granddaddy, and that is what he is called. I said that I didn't care what they called me so long as they loved me. My hubby began to refer to me as Granny. When our grandson began to try to say it, it came out Nanny. So that's what stuck, and I am now called that by 5 (soon to be 6) very special grandchildren. I couldn't be happier.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 12:29 PM on Mar. 26, 2010

• My son calls my mom Mimi (mee-mee) thats just how he said it at first and still does. My mom didn't want to be called Grandma either!
    Amanda704

Answer by Amanda704 at 12:32 PM on Mar. 26, 2010

N E M would be cute too.  My husband and his brother are 36 and 38, and their Mim-Mim is 87.  All their cousins call her Grandmother & Last Name, which seems so stuffy in comparison.

Anonymous