chronic liar

my son lies about almost everything; he gets punished for lying and the next day he's doing it again. even ADMITTING that he's lying after the fact to try to not get into trouble. he lied about losing his DS for a week before i found out the truth.. by that time the sitter had no idea what i was talking about and the expensive toy is long gone. we've spanked, yelled, and taken toys/ tv away. nothing sticks!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:21 PM on Mar. 26, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Isn't it just one of the most annoying behaviors a kid can have? Its hard because you never know if they are actaully telling the truth or not. I know because I've gone through this with my son too. He's 10 now,he does still tell lies but not as often as he used to. I found a way over time to be able to tell when he is telling the truth or not. I've stay quiet while he's telling me his "story" and study his face,the way his eyes move,his expressions, what he does with his hands..and I can pretty much tell. He doesn't quite know moms "secret gift" of knowing everything,lol. So over time of me being able to tell him I know he is lying or not, he has backed off the lying because I'm going to know anyway. Good Luck, it takes a lot of work,love and patience!
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 12:30 PM on Mar. 26, 2010

• You can try these two approaches...they both worked for me wth different children....1. Use a switch instead of your hand, a paddle, or a belt to spank...and use it consistently, every time. This is the most effective method, in my opinion. Or, 2. Get some ivory soap and wash their mouths out with it. It is mild and won't hurt them. I scrub it into their teeth and don't let them clean it out for a full five minutes. It seems cruel, but letting them grow up to be liars to much MORE cruel! It doesn't really hurt them, and they remember the taste FOREVER! I only had to use this ONCE with my most strong-willed chlid...she never did it again!
    singnstitch

Answer by singnstitch at 12:36 PM on Mar. 26, 2010

• my son is six, i've caught him lying...well his lies are usually pretty noticable, like an alien came down , landed in the living room, walked over, moved your mp3 player, downloaded songs into his brain. left it on the couch and the just went away...yeah he has acctually said that. but when i catch him lying or if he has bad behaviors i pick one thing that he really likes. for instance his wii. i tell him until u start telling the truth, or behaving apporpriately he cannot play it, if he goes a few days without having behaviors or lying then he can play it one night. and then he has to keep earning the privilege b ack by listening and behaving appropriately.
    raynebowstarz

Answer by raynebowstarz at 12:52 PM on Mar. 26, 2010

• Lying is picked up from watching their parent's behavior. Punishing is not going to stop chronic lying, only you and your husband modeling an honest lifestyle will. Adults understand shades of gray when it comes to truths and fibs, children do not. So, any white lies, exagerations, etc that you or your spouse tell are showing your child that lying is ok.
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 12:58 PM on Mar. 26, 2010

• When my strong-willed son went through his lying phase, I thought I would lose my mind. Finally, at my wit's end, I reached for the apple cider vinegar. I had him hold a teaspoon of the vinegar in him mouth for one minute while I told him that lying was like any other dirt that Mommy has to clean up (I use vinegar for some cleaning and laundry issues, esp. around the kids), and we have to keep our words and hearts clean. After a minute, I let him spit it out and brush his teeth. After some think-about-it time, he apologized and we've had no more lying issues since.

I realize that things like vinegar and soap aren't for every parent and child, but strong-willed children require strong-willed parents who need to be unafraid to step outside the normal paramaters of discipline. My child was not injured by the vinegar in any way. Even if he had swallowed it (which I did not make him do, nor would I have made him do), - cont.
    May-20

Answer by May-20 at 9:07 AM on Mar. 29, 2010

• cont.

it would have been no worse for his stomach than eating a whole pickle would be. The vinegar treatment was unusual and very unpleasant. It was not abusive. Even now, over a year later, he remembers. He now has an affinity for more crude potty-type words. If I mention that maybe he needs to have his mouth cleaned up, he immediately drops those words from his vocabulary.

If you've tried everything else and nothing is working, perhaps it's time to take more a more unusual approach.
    May-20

Answer by May-20 at 9:16 AM on Mar. 29, 2010

• Well depending on your religious beliefs, he can watch the Veggie Tales episode called The Fib.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:34 AM on Apr. 1, 2010