ANYONE KNOW HOW TO CURE A CAST IRON SKILLET?

mia35

Asked by mia35 at 12:27 PM on Mar. 26, 2010 in Food & Drink

• we take a paper towel,dip it in vegetable oil, and rub the skillet inside and out. Then put it in a 250 degree oven overnight. After that, try to keep it oiled, especially after you wash it.
    singnstitch

Answer by singnstitch at 12:30 PM on Mar. 26, 2010

• Same as above, but also be aware that you need to dry it thouroughly every time you wash it. You can dry it by putting it on a hot burner for a few minutes.
    Anonymous

• Rub some cooking oil in it, put it in the oven at 350 for about an hour..
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 12:32 PM on Mar. 26, 2010

• I always use Crisco in the tub. I rub it all over the skillet and put it in the oven at 250 overnight. Remember to tell hubby NOT to dishwash it! LOL Mine forgot once and I had to take steel wool to get the rust out and start all over!!!
    Luvmylilmonkies

Answer by Luvmylilmonkies at 2:36 PM on Mar. 26, 2010

• don't use soap and water.

just wipe down with an oiled cloth.
    hypermamaz

Answer by hypermamaz at 5:40 PM on Mar. 26, 2010

• Season with oil or Crisco and heat in oven as above. NEVER use soap. I just wipe mine out. In case of something being stuck to the pan, I use salt and oil then rise with plain hot water. I have had the same iron skillet for 44 years and it';s absolutely beautiful to cook with.
    mikesmom65270

Answer by mikesmom65270 at 8:40 PM on Mar. 26, 2010

• We never immerse ours just wipe it out
    35yoamom

Answer by 35yoamom at 1:11 PM on Mar. 30, 2010