Is it ok to get a Tattoo?

Is it ok to get a tattoo while Breastfeeding?

Mamamegan

Asked by Mamamegan at 12:42 PM on Mar. 26, 2010 in Beauty & Style

• I wouldn't. It's a needle in your skin that could be carrying all kind of yuckie things. I personally wouldn't risk it.
    mrsjonzy

Answer by mrsjonzy at 12:47 PM on Mar. 26, 2010

• No.
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 12:48 PM on Mar. 26, 2010

• Absolutely, there's no reason to think you shouldn't. You should make sure that the shop is reputable, licensed, clean and sterilizes its needles- important qualifications anytime you get a tattoo! But the tattoo will have no effect on your milk or your baby at all.
    Skepticchick

Answer by Skepticchick at 12:51 PM on Mar. 26, 2010

• I really don't know, but it can't wait? How long do you plan on breast feeding.

I would ask your doctor, because wouldn't you rather be safe then sorry? I have nothing against tatoos, I always say to each there own. :)

Good luck!!!
    KFree907

Answer by KFree907 at 12:53 PM on Mar. 26, 2010

• ask the shop about their policies! most are fine with it.
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 1:14 PM on Mar. 26, 2010

• Unless you are getting some back alley tattooist who uses dirty needles to do it, I wouldn't worry. I have a few tattoos and they all used sterile needles, cleaned the area before working and the shops were clean.
    Anonymous

• As long as you know it's a clean place, I see no problem with it. I actually got one while I was pregnant (not knowing) and everything turned out just fine!
    Amanda704

Answer by Amanda704 at 12:29 AM on Mar. 29, 2010

• the ink is not carried on in the breastmilk. so it's perfectly safe to get a tattoo while breastfeeding. like pp said, unless you are going to some back ally, gross "artist" then you are safe. but if you still feel the need to, ask your doctor.
    luckmomto2

Answer by luckmomto2 at 6:13 PM on Apr. 8, 2010