Patio gardening!

Our new apartment has a gorgeous HUGE patio and we plan on having a bbq, furniture, etc out there, and I'd love to have a nice big container garden. I'd like to grow both flowers and veggies, maybe some herbs too? But I have ZERO experience with gardening. Anyone give me some suggestions to get started, or point me at some good websites?

Thanks!

coffee.crisp

Asked by coffee.crisp at 1:30 PM on Mar. 26, 2010 in Home & Garden

• I'm in the same position, so I'm curious to see what everyone says. ;)
    kksmomma1019

Answer by kksmomma1019 at 1:44 PM on Mar. 26, 2010

• That sounds like so much fun! I think the best thing to get you started is to buy them already growing. You just replant them and take care of them.Look for flowers and veggies that grow in the proper environment/lighting/shade that your patio provides. If its anything like my deck, it is both very sunshiney and then shadowy later in the day. Herbs I find grow best in low light.A couple years ago I was growing herbs and had them in my window and they seemed to grow very well but one day I took them out on the deck to get some extra sunshine and I forget about them and they got scorched,lol.
    Have fun! I just love spring time!! :)
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 1:59 PM on Mar. 26, 2010

• An excellent, practically no fail, container gardening method is the EarthBox. It takes a lot of the work out of fertilizing, watering and general plant maintenance (eg...weeding). The box is on wheels, so you can move the plants to where the sun is on your balcony, thus giving you a little more flexibility on the crops you choose to grow, and you'd be amazed at how much you can actually grow in one of the boxes. And, no, I don't work for the company, I just really like how easy the Earthbox makes container growing. Before they came out, my stuff was always dying for lack of water or from not getting fertilized at the right time or just because I chose the wrong type of container to plant in.

Anonymous