Thrush..

I've treated my 5 and a half month old DD and myself 3 times with nystatin for thrush, sanitized all her toys & bottles if she used them on a daily basis, bought new pacifiers and everything but none of it worked. Does anybody have any other suggestions? I won't do nystatin again, it always makes her throw up.

Marix3

Asked by Marix3 at 1:46 PM on Mar. 26, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Acidophilus

Getting sick of being ragged on by the wakkos who only use drugs. If you want instructions on how to use it, send me a message.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 1:49 PM on Mar. 26, 2010

• Have you consulted with your pediatrician on this? Is it surely Thrush? That sucks that it keeps coming back... : (

Seems you're a great mom, doing everything you can to be rid of the thrush. The only meds I know of for it is Nystatin. I wish I knew of another proven method.

I'd ask my pedi. for an alternative medicine or to be sure if something else wasn't wrong.

Sorry and good luck.
    Skepticchick

Answer by Skepticchick at 1:51 PM on Mar. 26, 2010

• BE CAREFUL of trying:

HOMEOPATHIC remedies. Especially on an infant. Poster number one's comment is a homeopathic remedy, and could have bad reactions on your child. Always consult with your doctor, for negative side affects.... Especailly when it comes to your kids.
    Anonymous

• My son couldn't get rid of it either but his doc put him on Diflucan and it knocked it out! lol
    mominbolt

Answer by mominbolt at 1:56 PM on Mar. 26, 2010

• Her pediatrician is aware that I've tried 3 times, she keeps prescribing Nystatin and it's really bothering me now. Nystatin works to a certain extent. It will be almost gone and then won't react to the medicine any farther. It's my understanding that Nystatin doesn't work for ALOT of people so I guess that might be her case but my thrush gets resolved with my courses of Nystatin, from what I can tell.
    I will call her and ask her if there is something else I can try. I know I read on here once something else that was recommended but my memory is bad and I can't remember what it was=/
    Marix3

Answer by Marix3 at 1:59 PM on Mar. 26, 2010

• Diflucan. Be careful w/ OTC meds on a baby... they are extremely sensitive and they may not be FDA approved. Talk to your dr again ASAP. Thrush can get really bad and the baby could develop a secondary fungal infection from it.
    Luvmylilmonkies

Answer by Luvmylilmonkies at 2:21 PM on Mar. 26, 2010

• Gentian Violet cured our thrush. It stains a bit but it'll come off after a few days. Worked great after 3 treatments!

Diflucan is an option.

Probiotics are an option.

Try Kellymom.com and look up thrush. Also click here http://pediatrics.about.com/od/childhoodinfections/a/thrush.htm click at the bottom "Using Gentian Violet"

There are varying different solutions. Your doctor keeps prescribing a med that does not work very well. Maybe you need a new doctor. Thrush can get so bad it infiltrates the intestines and causes colitis.... you need to get this resolved...
    Anonymous

• P.S. If the yeast infection is deep in your breasts you may need Diflucan.
    Anonymous

• first, Acidophilus is NOT a homeopathic remedy.

For the best info on treating thrush go to Candida Protocol

maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 4:19 PM on Mar. 26, 2010

• www.kellymom.com is a great website. That is THE place to look.

Having yeast infections is usually a sign that something esle is going on. Finding out what caused/is causing the yeast to overgrow may be the key to solving what is going on.

For example, I had many weird yeast infections (including my throat) yet didn't give them to my babies. It took 10 years to figure out why, I have genetic immune deficiencies. One of the warning signs of having immune deficiencies is yeast infections. I'm not saying you have immune deficiencies but there are other reasons for being at risk that may need to be solved. Acid/base imbalance and other issues. I can't think of more right now.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 4:29 PM on Mar. 26, 2010