What is with the ER happy folks?

I have seen it all. I keep seeing all these mom's telling each other "Take him to the ER now!". Or, "Take her to the doctor". OMG she has a 98.7 fever...LOL I mean really, how many mom's here have taken their child to the ER more than once and for something that is totally not and emergency? I mean otherwise healthy kids, Kids with chronic disease is a different matter. Or how many mom's rush their kids to the doctor when thier fever is 99.0 and they are showing no other symptoms? I have seen this alot on here. No wonder there are superbugs now. And those mom's that insist thier kids have Antibiotics...when they don't need it. Uhg...Why?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:59 PM on Mar. 26, 2010 in Kids' Health

• I wish I knew. Jesus, I wish I knew!!
    My ex-friend is like that. She cut her daughters fingernail too far down one time while trimming her nails, and since it didn't stop bleeding right away, took her to the ER. Yea, seriously. The ER doc put a band-aid on it & sent her home. I wanted to smack her!!
    emslala

Answer by emslala at 8:55 AM on Mar. 27, 2010

• I tell people to call their Drs because some of the questions asked NOONE here can answer for them.
    Only time I say to go to the ER is if it is an obvious emergency. I have personally taken my daughter once in the past 11 months.
    Mrs.Owen86

Answer by Mrs.Owen86 at 2:01 PM on Mar. 26, 2010

• That is part of the reason healthcare is so much money and why you have to wait 2 hours in the emergency room if you actually have an emergency.
    awelling

Answer by awelling at 2:01 PM on Mar. 26, 2010

• My doctor says not to take a baby in unless their temp is 105. And our ER won't take you unless you call the doctor first. If you didn't call they hand you the phone.
    Anonymous

• OP here:Anon, your doc and ER are awesome. Where I live it is not the case. The doctor my son goes to is so full, when he woke up with what I could tell was Strep, they said the could get him in the following week. I nearly fell over. And I know not to take him to the ER...we would be there 10 hours at the least. It is just ridiculous
    Anonymous

• The only time my daughter has been to the ER was when she had an allergic reaction to the DTAP vac, she had a fever over 101, swelling, pain and her fever was steadily climbing, she wasn't eating, they ended up having to give her fluids. Otherwise if I am unsure I call my dr and ask at what situation with current symptoms do i take her, other then that kids get sick, it happens, just watch them and be there for them
    Laura_Cruz

Answer by Laura_Cruz at 2:27 PM on Mar. 26, 2010

• well I called the doctor today cause my son's eye was swollen! and left there with him having blood work and lots of test done.
    r00j04j08

Answer by r00j04j08 at 4:54 PM on Mar. 26, 2010

• I've only taken my son to the ER b/c once his doctor suspected earlier the day he had pneumonia and he got worse that night so we took him in and another time was b/c he had a seizure. But I do see ppl freaking over a 99.0 fever and I can't help but just giggle, I mean REALLY? Even googling it will tell you not to freak, let alone on here.
    chelleybeans

Answer by chelleybeans at 6:48 PM on Mar. 26, 2010

• My kids never see a Dr unless it's an annual check up. My husband gets annoyed with me but I have one child with him and he is my 4th child....I have learned what NOT to do by the time the second one came along. I was horriable with the first one...
    for example The 1st baby was a bald 3 month old baby, in daycare and the daycare had lice....I took her to the DR. to make sure she didn't have lice...lol
    Now days it's take a serious injury to get me to take them in!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:43 AM on Mar. 28, 2010

• It bugs the crap outta me too! Especially in the pregnancy section... people are CONSTANTLY telling people to head to L&D and it drives me insane! IMO if you can get on the computer and type, then your contractions arent bad enough to cause a fast trip to L&D!!

As for the ER... I think it is COMPLETELY overused! There is NOTHING that the ER can do for a fever that you cant do at home, unless your child is dehydrated. Dehydration can cause fevers and IV fluids might be necessary. But besides that... they are going to give your child some motrin and send you on your way. Meanwhile, you just subjected your child to every illness known to man in the ER!

My son is a pulminary patient and he has gone to the ER ALOT (he's had 10 admits) but my DD has only gone once. If I dont think my child needs to be admitted, I dont bring them. I deal with it at home
    Jaydin_Makenna

Answer by Jaydin_Makenna at 1:57 PM on Mar. 29, 2010