Any tips for weaning from the breast?

My baby turned one today and I have began (over the past several weeks) weaning. I am now only breastfeeding in the evening and first thing in the morning. She still likes to comfort nurse occasionally through the night. She is also still in the bed with us which we are also beginning the process of getting her into her crib. I don't want to throw too much on her at once and I'm not quite ready for the cry it out process yet. I would appreciate any tips and/or advice.

hollysybb

Asked by hollysybb at 2:03 PM on Mar. 26, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• my kids were impossible to gradually wean. it was the night time & morning feedings we couldn't get rid of. eventually, i gave up an weaned them cold turkey. i told her "no more dodo, you're a big girl now" (dodo is what she called it.) & gave her a bottle & never looked back. it was hard, especially since we also co-slept. she would tug at my shirt at night but i had to be firm. consistency is key. good luck. sorry i couldn't offer any better advice. quitting cold turkey is the only way i know how to do it.
    Anonymous

• Hum. I don't know. My daughter was down to two feedings and actually weaned herself. First she stopped wanting to nurse at night and then a few weeks later she didn't want to nurse in the morning anymore. I would offer it to her and she would turn her head. We didn't co-sleep, though. She slept in her crib since birth.
    HotMama330

Answer by HotMama330 at 3:53 PM on Mar. 26, 2010

• We got down to morning and night and then offered her a bottle as a replacement. She was 22 months though. We watched babies nurse and talked alot about how that'e for babies ahead of time. Around 1 we night weaned. She was in her own crib but would wind up in our bed in the night. I just refused to nurse and if she threw a fit I would tell her she had to go back to her bed. That was our deal, she could sleep with us if she was agreeable about not nursing, but if she started hitting me, she had to go back to her bed. I wouldn't leave her there long because I don't like crying in the crib. When I got her again I would remind her of our deal..she can come back to our bed, but no nursing till the sun came up. She understood really fast, they understand so much more than you think.
    mandelion8

Answer by mandelion8 at 8:42 PM on Mar. 26, 2010