Pumping help.

I have to return to work in a few weeks and want to start storing milk. How do I go about it if I am nursing baby every 2-3 hours? He usually only finishes 1 side and doesn't even touch the other side so do I just pump the second side at the same time? If I do this will I have enough milk in 2-3 hours to feed him fully again from 1 side?? how exactly does this work? first time mom so yes I am clueless on how the pumping and storing works. any advise please.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:16 PM on Mar. 26, 2010 in General Parenting

• OP again. Also if I can only pump 1-2 oz at a time can I add multiple pumps to 1 storage bag??
    Anonymous

• If you pump every time you nurse then you'll still produce enough. Breast milk is "supply on demand". The more your body sees is being used, the more it will produce to compensate.
    Laila-May

Answer by Laila-May at 2:20 PM on Mar. 26, 2010

• Pump from the side that the baby did not nurse from and the side the baby did nurse from, just for a few minutes on that side though. You will absolutely have enough milk. The more you pump and/or nurse, the more milk you will produce. I would recommend writing the date and number of ounces on your storage bags before sticking them in the freezer. Probably an obvious but mentioned it anyway! Good for you for continuing with breastmilk after going to work!
    meg613

Answer by meg613 at 2:25 PM on Mar. 26, 2010

• what kind of pump are you using?
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 2:30 PM on Mar. 26, 2010

• OP again. I am using a Ameda Purely Your.
    Anonymous

• I had the same questions when I was starting! I always pumped right after his first feedign of the day. I pumped both breasts and would store that milk in the fridge until it was cold then I would transfer it to Lansiloh bags (combining ounces if need be to fill up the bag), write earliest pumped milk date on the bag and how many ounces - then freeze.
    Your breasts are not storage containers - they are factories! So milk is made as baby eats. Baby will have plenty to eat.
    Join the Breastfeeding Group here on CM - great support!
    Katt709

Answer by Katt709 at 2:32 PM on Mar. 26, 2010