Will it make you unhappy that you kids grow up to be NOT a doctor, not a lawyer, not teacher, not a scientist?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:24 PM on Mar. 26, 2010 in General Parenting

• Hell no! I refuse to be one of those parents that hopes my child will be something specific. He could work at McDonalds for all I care as long as he is happy and a good person. IMO, there is more to life then what you do for a living and your position and how much money you make never defines who you are.
    newmomma14

Answer by newmomma14 at 5:47 PM on Mar. 26, 2010

• Nope. What my kids grow up to be is about them, not me

Answer by admckenzie at 2:26 PM on Mar. 26, 2010

• No, not at all as long as they were making a living out of something decent. I think it's normal to want your kids to be something inspirational like that but I wouldn't be dissapointed at all.
    LuvmyFam6

Answer by LuvmyFam6 at 2:26 PM on Mar. 26, 2010

• Nope, so long as my kids are happy, healthy, productive members of society, I don't care what they do.
    my2.5boys

Answer by my2.5boys at 2:27 PM on Mar. 26, 2010

• Not as long as they are happy. We always told our boys "I don't care if you're a garbage man...as long as that is what you WANT to do. There is nothing worse than getting up each morning and HAVE to go to a workplace/job you hate"
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 2:28 PM on Mar. 26, 2010

• no, i want my kids to do whatever they want to do.. as long as they are happy.well other than stripper or prostitute! i dont want them selling their body to survive..if they wana do that id rather them just sit at home why i pay their bills... i dont want to pressure them to be something they dont want to be
    swaney06

Answer by swaney06 at 2:28 PM on Mar. 26, 2010

• I want my son to break the cycle in our family and at least try to be more than working for just a pay check to survive like we are doing.. I am going go to give him at least a start to go to college but the pressure will be there more for him to do more with his life than me and my husband ended up doing.. financially wise and the fact we both aren't happy where we are and can't leave because lack of education.
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 2:31 PM on Mar. 26, 2010

• No, I'm shooting for politicians and snake salesmen. Really, who would be disappointed if their kids didn't choose a specific career? I think we all want the best for our kids, and we want them to do things that will make them happy as well as make them a living.
    Anonymous

• no i won't be unhappy if they don't choose any of those proffessions. but i'd be extremely happy if they did. kwim?
    Anonymous

• My son told me he's going to grow up to be a firetruck.
    Not a fireman.
    A firetruck.
    So, as long as he grows up and is not an inanimate object I think I will be fine. Decent human beings are decent human beings no matter how much money they make.
    ohsowonderful

Answer by ohsowonderful at 2:41 PM on Mar. 26, 2010