To wake or not to wake?

2 week old baby, has been sleeping 2-4 hours day and night. when he gets close to 4 hours should I wake him to feed him? He has a cold so I don't konw if its better to wake him to feed him (breastfeed) or let him sleep. If I should wake him how often should i?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:29 PM on Mar. 26, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• You should let a sleeping baby sleep!
    Anonymous

• Feed the baby on his demand. If he is sleeping then let him sleep.
    hornz102485

Answer by hornz102485 at 2:30 PM on Mar. 26, 2010

• Letting him go for one 4 hr (probably even up to 6 hrs) at night is fine. Just make sure he is nursing a minimum of 8-12 times in 24 hours. If you need to get a few more feedings in wake him during the day instead. If his wt gain is good, you can simply follow his lead. If his wt gain is low you may need to wake him some, but again, you can probably get a couple more feedings in during the day.
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 2:31 PM on Mar. 26, 2010

• doctors will tell you to wake him but in my experience just wait for them to wake up my son is 15 months and at first i would wake him and it just irritated him and he wouldnt eat.. when they are hungry they will wake up now if he doenst want to wake up after like 5-6 hours i would prob try to see if he will eat
    jaksonsmommy

Answer by jaksonsmommy at 2:32 PM on Mar. 26, 2010

• Don't wake a sleeping baby! He'll wake up when he's hungry!
    Katt709

Answer by Katt709 at 2:35 PM on Mar. 26, 2010

• well my doctor told me that you have to wake the baby because the baby needs to be eating 2 to 3 hours apart
    Milindus

Answer by Milindus at 2:40 PM on Mar. 26, 2010

• NEVER wake a sleeping baby!!!
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 2:46 PM on Mar. 26, 2010

• NEVER WAKE A SLEEPING BABY
    jbirchard

Answer by jbirchard at 3:46 PM on Mar. 26, 2010

• Never wake a sleeping baby is not good advice for a breastfed baby during the first 6-8 weeks. You need to make sure your baby is feeding often enough and that may mean waking the baby. If the pregnancy was difficult, there were problems during labor, there were drugs or an epidural used during labor, or there was a c-section these can all affect the baby's behavior the first few weeks.

I'm so sorry your baby has a cold. That has to be difficult. It should be mild and brief with breastfeeding.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 4:20 PM on Mar. 26, 2010

• I always woke my kids at least every 3 hours during the day to nurse and then let them sleep as long as they would at night. It helped stabilize their day/night schedule and (I believe) start sleeping through the night sooner than they would have without it.

Answer by missanc at 5:02 PM on Mar. 26, 2010