4 month old thumb sucker

She's a thumb sucker... it's kinda cute now, but I know soon enough it won't be cute.

Did your kid suck their thumb? How long?

Skepticchick

Asked by Skepticchick at 3:07 PM on Mar. 26, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• The one trait that 'they' found in common among kids who stop or don't stop later in life (past the age of 5) is a person continually pushing them to stop. Hang in there, she is still a baby and the need to suck for comfort is very strong. She will grow out of it.

"According to the American Dental Association, thumb sucking does not cause permanent problems with the teeth or jaw line unless it is continued beyond 4 to 5 years of age. As it turns out, somewhere between 85% and 99% of children have finished thumb sucking spontaneously before this period"
    mama_l

Answer by mama_l at 3:18 PM on Mar. 26, 2010

• I did til I was 4
    Anonymous

• My Daughter use to around that age. I just would playfully take it out of her mouth and she eventually just quit trying. She's 8 months now.
    Anonymous

• Great question! My daughter is 2 and sucks her thumb. It drives me crazy because it's actually changing the shape of her jaw!!! So said the dentist. She only does it now when she's really sleepy, but still trying to get her to stop all together!
    meg613

Answer by meg613 at 3:12 PM on Mar. 26, 2010

• I did until I was almost 8! But only at night thank goodness. My son is 20 months and would never take a pacifier let alone his thumb.
    Anonymous

• My thumb-sucker is 3. It's fine. My grandfather was a Dentist for over 55 yrs and even he said it was no big deal b/c most kids stop when they get into school since other kids will make fun of them for it. Very rarely do kids go to college sucking their thumbs. Let your baby have that vanilla-coated thing! LOL (we ask Colin if his is flavored b/c he's ALWAYS got that thing in his mouth!)
    Luvmylilmonkies

Answer by Luvmylilmonkies at 3:17 PM on Mar. 26, 2010

• My middle was a thumbsucker, he stopped just before he turned 5. (and by then he was only doing that at bedtime/sleeping).
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 4:00 PM on Mar. 26, 2010

• My grandson sucked his thumb when he was very young. He is breastfed and stopped. He is 18 mo and never does it now. If a child is breastfed a year or longer thumb or finger sucking is pretty rare.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 4:10 PM on Mar. 26, 2010

• my daughter sucks her thumb at bedtime, she is 6 years old. I've noticed that she only sucks her thumb when she's falling asleep, but as soon as she's asleep the thumb is out.
    mama2br00ke

Answer by mama2br00ke at 4:22 PM on Mar. 26, 2010

• My dd did from birth until about 6 months. She just stopped by herself, I didn't have to do anything.
    sadiesmom87

Answer by sadiesmom87 at 10:02 PM on Mar. 26, 2010