Please give me advice on how to talk to my 12 year old son about sex.

The reason I'm having such difficulty with this is because my 12 year old son does not want to know anything. He is VERY naive and immature for his age. He gets along better with boys that are 10. I feel like I want to discuss this with him before other boys his age discuss it with him. Should I go ahead and have "the talk" or should I tell myself, "maybe he isn't old enough yet"? If I should discuss this with him, how do I approach it with someone who absolutely would rather stay in an "ignorance is bliss" state-of-mind? My 7 year old has already begun to ask questions, so I don't feel it will be hard to discuss this with him, at all.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:09 PM on Mar. 26, 2010 in Teens (13-17)

• Two words, open and honest. That is how you approach the subject. " I know you don't want to talk about this, but I think we should". Ask him if he has any questions and tell him that if he doesn't want to talk about it now pick a day when you will. Give him time to think about it a go alittle bit at a time. It doesn't need to be a big 3 hour long talk. Start the conversation and NEVER end it! Let him know that he can always come to you without fear of punishment. I have told my girls that. I don't promise I won;t be mad, but it is too important that they come to me then if they don't. You don't want your kid talking to some other kid. Good luck.
    wallmom1

Answer by wallmom1 at 10:04 AM on Mar. 27, 2010

• You should have been doing it already awhile ago..no offense. Uh, you may just have to talk with him alone and sort of force the issue and talking about it. It will be hard, but, if you wait on him, he may be with child because some girl talked him into it and he had wrong info anyway. Especially at 12 already.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 3:23 PM on Mar. 26, 2010

• I started talking to my guys about their body and asking if they had any questions but I started earlier and maybe you can start off talking about his body and that could be an opening to if he has questions why mens bodies are different from womens anything can help
    pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 3:34 PM on Mar. 26, 2010