In this country, as of this moment, I am allowed to believe what I want!

First off.... I don't need anyone elses rude comments about what I believe. I already received that last night so please, If you have something rude or disrespectful to say, dont comment. I'm not bashing your beliefes

My feelings are alittle hurt right now. I got into the discussion of religion with my husband last night. I told him that I question the true existense of god & Jesus. He said something to my MIL and she made a big deal about it too. My husband told me that if we didn't have kids and werent married, We wouldn't be together. He also said that I am a devil worshiper. Just because I don't believe in god doesn't mean I worship the devil. My MIL said that my sister in law is passing me up. Which is fine, because I don't care. I'm not in competition with ANYONE and I won't act as someone I am not. Either you like me for who I am or you don't . Sorry, I had to vent somewhere.

Jacki88

Asked by Jacki88 at 3:09 PM on Mar. 26, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

Level 1 (-2 Credits)
  • I had a friend who is Pagan, her husband knew this when they married. Then he cheated on her. Later they divorced because he couldn't get over the religious differences. He continually told her she was going to hell, a devil worshipper, and was a bad mother because by not taking her children to church she was allowing demonic influences to enter their lives.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 3:13 PM on Mar. 26, 2010

• I know how you feel you will get no bashing from me you are allowed to believe what you want.

pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 3:13 PM on Mar. 26, 2010

• Dang, I am Christian, and I find that a very valid vent...they were rude, and there's no religious excuse for that.
    Anonymous

• They were very rude, and if he can't be with you based on religion than what kind of a marraige is he in. They are the problem not you. I am Christian and have an atheist dh. I would never say that to him. I knew what he was going in and love him any way. Even if he changed as long as he didn't harm the kids or myself in any way our relationship would not change. I am sorry you had to deal with this. Good luck I hope things get better.
    hot-mama86

Answer by hot-mama86 at 3:19 PM on Mar. 26, 2010

• I've never understood and probably will never understand why some religious folk think that a lack of faith in God means worshiper of the devil.

That makes no sense.

What happened to love and understanding and compassion? Isn't that what God wants from us? Not to pass judgment or hate others and put them down because their beliefs differ from our own?

There are some(not all) Christians(as well as other religious denominations) that are such hypocrites.
    Preach one thing and practice the opposite.
    Laila-May

Answer by Laila-May at 3:21 PM on Mar. 26, 2010

• 1 Thessalonians 5:21

Forward that passage on to your husband and MIL
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 3:37 PM on Mar. 26, 2010

• Good for you hun, for standing up for yourself! Hubby's coment would have created havoc in his life, if he had said that to me. You deserve a man that stands up for you no matter what the subject.

Answer by older at 3:38 PM on Mar. 26, 2010

• Bravo Mommy... I hear ya!
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 3:42 PM on Mar. 26, 2010

• I'm sorry he was an asshat and had your mil ambush you that way, too. Not cool. As a life-long atheist in the south, I have gotten the devil-worshiper crap a lot. I feel your pain. I've found it's mildly amusing to tell these people you don't believe in their devil, either. Sometimes there is annoying backlash, but generally the first reaction is so flabbergasted, it's totally worth it. Apparently, it is way, way more shocking to not believe in the devil than it it is to not believe in the rest. :O) I suppose mostly because they are so convinced in their own heads "he" is our master. sigh.

roachiesmom

Answer by roachiesmom at 3:43 PM on Mar. 26, 2010

• I'm really sorry for what your going through. Your husband should learn to keep his mouth shut when it comes to conversations between the two of you. I don't know how to help, maybe just talking about can help you feel better.  For now I think you need to explore your own beliefs on your own and not discuss it with your husband since he is so hostile towards your views.

RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 3:55 PM on Mar. 26, 2010