How much milk should a 16 month old be getting? My dr. said no more than 16 oz?

Blu-Dash

Asked by Blu-Dash at 3:29 PM on Mar. 26, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I give my kids as much milk as they want, whenever they are thirsty. I think what doctors say to give is not enough.
    awelling

Answer by awelling at 3:32 PM on Mar. 26, 2010

• They NEED water, they only NEED dairy products, not neccessarily milk. Milk is taken in by the body as food, not, hydration. So, when you look at the doc recommend:600 mls of milk (about 2 ½ cups) a day is plenty. It is only one part of what toddlers eat and drink and other foods are needed too.
    It is important that children do not drink so much milk that they won't eat other foods as this is a common cause of health problems (such as iron deficiency anaemia) in toddlers.
    That is all the milk they should get, no more. Then, it should be water only. They also don't NEED juice, they can have real fruit.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 3:42 PM on Mar. 26, 2010

• It's recommended that toddlers only get 2 servings of dairy a day. That includes all they eat. Since kids eat so many foods with milk in them few can drink any milk at all and keep their intake to 2 toddler servings. 16 oz is too much.

Milk causes constipation, diarrhea or other digestive problems. It can cause anemia or other health problems. The AAP is concerned about it causing obesity. There is no reasons for human children to drink cows milk beyond a year. Formula is a human milk substitute just so babies can survive the first year and then they can eat regular foods.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 3:43 PM on Mar. 26, 2010

• My daughter is 13 months and her doctor said no more than 18 ounces per day. So,I was told about the same thing. Two 8 ounce cups per day should do it. Then she has other fluids during the day, of course such as water and juice.
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 3:51 PM on Mar. 26, 2010

• My doctor also 2 8oz cups a day is fine. Too much milk can be bad.
    Anonymous

• We just got home and my doctor said the same thing to me too. 16 oz. My baby is 15 months old. They need to get used to eating MORE adult food and drinking less.
    Anonymous

• i let my son have as much milk as he wants but i also give him water and juice during the day
    jaksonsmommy

Answer by jaksonsmommy at 4:14 PM on Mar. 26, 2010

• Juice is horrible for kids!!
    Anonymous

• i dont think that was the question.... the question is how much milk do you let your lil one have?... and i know lots of parents who give their children juice... its fine they have done it forever
    jaksonsmommy

Answer by jaksonsmommy at 4:20 PM on Mar. 26, 2010

• My 16 month old gets 16 ounces, and then water after that.

Answer by missanc at 5:08 PM on Mar. 26, 2010