2 week notice...does it have to be a full 2 weeks?

I finally got a job closer to home and I need to start my new job asap because I spent $20 a DAY in gas and it's getting expensive. Not only that I've seen my boss cut hours so drastically once a 2 week notice has been put in. I thought about putting in my notice to finish out next week since he just posted the schedual and then he won't have to rearrange anyone plus hes geting in 2 new employees. Should I go ahead and make it a full 2 weeks or is 10 days enough?

luvmygrlz

Asked by luvmygrlz at 3:58 PM on Mar. 26, 2010 in Money & Work

• lol, thats what a 2 week notice is...2 weeks. Talk to your boss, maybe he will be okay with it. You don't want to burn your bridges, just in case. Good Luck and congradulations on the new job!
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 4:01 PM on Mar. 26, 2010

• I would make it 10 days and apologize profusely that it's not two weeks.
    Anonymous

• 2 weeks is typically considered 2 business weeks, so 10 days
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 4:00 PM on Mar. 26, 2010

• Since you don't need them as a reference and already have another job no. It's just a courteous to your employer so they can find someone else before you leave.
    mrsjonzy

Answer by mrsjonzy at 4:01 PM on Mar. 26, 2010

• As a PP said, a 2 week's notice is a courtesy to your present employer. It ensures that you remain in good standing with that employer, should you ever need a job with them again or a reference, anything like that. If your boss cuts hours after a notice is given, then he may be ok with you not taking any hours and decreasing the time of your notice, and you can remain in good standing. You'll have to talk to him about it, though. If he throws a fit and demands 2 weeks, then you'd have to choose between giving him 2 weeks and remaining in good standing or giving him less and not having that reference to fall back on later. But again...talk to your boss. He may be ok with it, and then you won't have to choose or worry.
    DragonRiderMD

Answer by DragonRiderMD at 4:13 PM on Mar. 26, 2010