Do I have the right to be mad?

I had a partial hysterectomy on Monday morning and I'm recovering at home. Except for my husband's parents, NOT ONE PERSON from his family has called, emailed, sent a card or even acknowledged that I just had major surgery!! 3 years ago, when his rich brother had hip replacement surgery, we went over there and visited him and took snacks to him, and I have yet to hear ANYTHING from them.. His parents have been wonderful about keeping the kids for us while I was in the hospital, and my church has been bringing meals to us but it really hurts my feelings that his brother and sister can't even send a simple email or message on FB.I always knew they were selfish but this just hammers it home. How do I let this go and not let it bother me?

Bethsunshine

Asked by Bethsunshine at 4:10 PM on Mar. 26, 2010 in Relationships

• It really shows you who cares doesn't it... I went through the same thing when I had surgery on my nose. I had 2 toddlers and an 8 yr old at home and no one so much as called. It was a changing point in my life right then. I told myself then that I wasn't going to go out of my way anymore for anyone. I know that doesn't make me any better but they didn't seem to care anyway. I now focus on my family and the close friends we now have and try to teach our boys that you stand by the ones you love, and if they turn you away, or act like they don't care, move on.... It's not worth putting your heart out there and then getting it stomped on. I hope you're feeling better soon, and be thankful for those that are there for you...
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 4:16 PM on Mar. 26, 2010

• Perhaps it's awkward due to the TYPE of surgery? Maybe they don't know what to say..... but that's still quite rude and nasty of them. I hope you're healing well though!
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 4:12 PM on Mar. 26, 2010

• why does that bother you? sounds petty and nitpicky to me.
    Anonymous

• i wouldnt want to talk about a surgery like that, sounds personal
    Anonymous

• What good is it doing you to be upset? People are the way they are. You are lucky you have all the people you do helping you. Many of us are single moms, have horrible diseases or surgery, and have no help at all.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 4:13 PM on Mar. 26, 2010

• Some people feel like they don't want to "bother" a person so soon after they come home from the hospital.Could that be what it is? It may be a long shot, but hey..thinking that might make you feel better about it!
    Get Well Soon! :)
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 4:13 PM on Mar. 26, 2010

• hurt maybe, but not mad.

hope your drugs are good for pain
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 4:13 PM on Mar. 26, 2010

Yes, Gaill, it's all about you!! No one else ever has ANY problems but you..
    Anonymous

• I'd be upset if no one bothered to even send an e-mail.

When I had my daughter no one came to visit me in the hospital except for one guy that my husband worked with and my three best friends.
    I was there for three days and no one bothered to come.
    My friends from the other side of the province phoned yet my "friends" that lived a few blocks from the hospital didn't come for five minutes.

I think you have the right to be upset. It makes you feel unimportant when people don't seem to care.
    Laila-May

Answer by Laila-May at 4:16 PM on Mar. 26, 2010