I have a question for circumcizing moms :)

I'm truly curious about this. I personally will not circumcize any boys we have, but I don't think it makes anyone a bad parent to make the decision TO circumcize.

Almost every single mom I have talked to who had her son circumcised was educated on the subject when she and the baby's father made the decision. Together they weighed the pros and cons and made the decision they felt best for their family.

What I don't understand is what were the pros that made the procedure worth it FOR YOU? I know that the medical/cleanliness benefits of circumcision is believed to be almost nothing, but I recognize that there are lots of other personal reasons a family would make the decision to circumcise. So, what were those reasons for you? If it wasn't a religious reason, what was it? Was it personal experience?

Ati_13

Asked by Ati_13 at 4:21 PM on Mar. 26, 2010 in General Parenting

• There is evidence that infant circumcision can prevent the following:

•Urinary tract infections
    •Penile cancer in men
    •Sexually transmitted diseases, including HIV/AIDS

The most significant benefit to infant circumcision is a lower rate of urinary tract infection (UTI). During the first 3 to 6 months, UTIs are 10 times more common in uncircumcised boys than in circumcised boys. UTIs in infancy can lead to kidney problems later in life. However, they are easily treated with antibiotics and may not be enough of a reason to circumcise an infant.
    Some studies have shown a slightly higher rate of penile cancer among men who were not circumcised as infants. However, penile cancer is extremely rare among all men, circumcised or not.
    rochellecole

Answer by rochellecole at 4:36 PM on Mar. 26, 2010

• Have you seen an uncircumcised penis? It's disgusting and I'd never want my son to go through that.
    ArkTech

Answer by ArkTech at 4:22 PM on Mar. 26, 2010

• oh good, the circumcism debate again!
    awelling

Answer by awelling at 4:23 PM on Mar. 26, 2010

• So for you it was cosmetic reasons to mutilate your child?
    Laila-May

Answer by Laila-May at 4:23 PM on Mar. 26, 2010

• My husband was afraid of our son being teased.. although it is more 1/2 and 1/2 than it was when he was in school, he was really afraid of him being singled out for it.
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 4:24 PM on Mar. 26, 2010

• Awelling, not meant to be a debate. Future posters, please refrain from trying to "educate" anyone else, I really just wonder what, other than medical benefits, make families choose circumcision.

ArkTech, I have seen uncircumcised penises and I don't think they're gross at all :)
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 4:25 PM on Mar. 26, 2010

• My son is uncut. It's the 1st uncut penis I've ever seen. When he has to go potty really bad and it's hard, it looks nearly the same as a cut one. All too soon they'll be outlawed. It's cosmetic at this point, 100% cosmetic. Unless it's either religious or done w/ some actual pain medication I think it's downright cruel. For those of you to had your sons cut.... did u watch? Or leave the room?

Also those of u who had your sons cut.... did u insist on pain meds? A mild antibiotic? And curious if you harp on the Moms who pierce baby girls ears or not?
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 4:25 PM on Mar. 26, 2010

• I've done my research on the topic and know exactly what happened to my son. I did not mutilate him in any wya.
    ArkTech

Answer by ArkTech at 4:25 PM on Mar. 26, 2010

• Ears and penis' are different. A girl can mess with earrings or pull them out. My son never messed with his penis after his circumcision.
    ArkTech

Answer by ArkTech at 4:27 PM on Mar. 26, 2010

• You might have not wanted a debate, but it will happen. Then the insults and judgements come out. It is the same everytime.
    awelling

Answer by awelling at 4:28 PM on Mar. 26, 2010