To those of you on food stamps...?

We have about one thousand dollars in our bank account from Dh getting paid. Next month that money will be gone, we've been saving it since we moved in so that we could move back out when we needed to. When we're done we might have about $300 left.
We're applying for food stamps because Dh just took a %25 pay cut (so that they didnt have to do layoffs) and both of us need to start looking for a job (he needs a new one and I want one).

So my question is this. Even though we have about a thousand in our bank account, will they still give us food stamps?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:21 PM on Mar. 26, 2010 in Money & Work

• How will they even know what you have in your account. Noone said you have to even tell you have a bank account,
    Anonymous

• in Pa the highest in the bank account can be$1000. there is some kind of prequalifying questionaire on the site. not sure if ur state has one. take the questionaire and see what comes up. i don't know if every state is different but google it and find out. good luck.
    lambdarose

Answer by lambdarose at 4:24 PM on Mar. 26, 2010

• They ask and you do have to tell. They ask for documentation too. If you don't tell them then it is considered fraud.

OP It should be ok, I would just go ahead and apply, if they turn you down then you can either dispute it or reapply at a later date. I agree google it for your state and see what the rules are.
    I hope you get the help you need
    Mrs.Owen86

Answer by Mrs.Owen86 at 4:27 PM on Mar. 26, 2010

• you can have 1000 or less in cash and assets, so if you have a car worth at least 1000 its the same deal as having the cash in the bank.
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 4:30 PM on Mar. 26, 2010

• With the account I don't see it an issue but it depends on your state qualification guidelines. Each state is different in account amounts. It depends on a lot of other things as well though. I don't think that would be an issue though. GOOD LUCK I HOPE YOU GET THE HELP YOU NEED!
    hot-mama86

Answer by hot-mama86 at 4:32 PM on Mar. 26, 2010

• Yes, they will still give you the food stamps. I applied for it once when I was let go of a job and they had given me a $7000.00 severance check. That was is my account and I even told them about it and they still approved me because I had no future income coming in.
    Anonymous

• When I had to reapply, they asked for bank records and pay check stubs. We had just recently gotten our taxes back and had a couple thousand, but they didn't seem to pay that much attention to it. They just wanted to know what our monthly gross income was.
    I say apply, the worse thing they can do is deny you and you can always dispute that.
    Good luck!
    Anonymous

• Just take the money out of the account. Hide it in the house. then when they ask you if you have any extra money. Say NO we do not. That way you still have the back up money. And you will get your food stamps you need.

Answer by louise2 at 4:37 PM on Mar. 26, 2010

• I agree with louise Take the money out of the bank and get a lock box or something. They never ask you to prove cash, however, they will want your bank statements.
    Jjoneslagrange

Answer by Jjoneslagrange at 4:48 PM on Mar. 26, 2010

• i would say just take the money out of the account and put it in a safe place in your house and go that way
    jaksonsmommy

Answer by jaksonsmommy at 4:48 PM on Mar. 26, 2010