We just got married. Do we have to tell DH's work?

Does your husband have to tell his work when he gets married?
Why?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:40 PM on Mar. 26, 2010 in Relationships

• why wouldn't he?
    awelling

Answer by awelling at 4:42 PM on Mar. 26, 2010

• Lol, I mean will it change anything?
    Anonymous

• for insurance purposes he would, if he wants to add you to his health insurance or tax purposes if he wants to change his tax status from "single to married", other than that I do not see a reason.
    LuvmyFam6

Answer by LuvmyFam6 at 4:43 PM on Mar. 26, 2010

• I don't know why you wouldn't tell them you are married but I don't think you need to tell them. If of course you are listed as a beneficiary or emergency contact I think you need to let them know you are a spouse. Also if you are using his health insurance (if it applies to you) then yes you need to let them know.
    Anonymous

• I guess he doesn't have to but here are some reasons why he might want to.
    He can add you to his insurance. If something happens they know who to call. Some bosses look more favorably at a married man with the thought they are more settled and will promote them first. (Not saying it is right or fair but it happens).
    Keksie

Answer by Keksie at 4:43 PM on Mar. 26, 2010

• I think he would have to for tax and insurance reasons. He would have to update his life insurance and put you as the person to contact in emergencies. It could be considered lying to not tell them and it could be grounds for firing him. I'm not sure.

Why don't you want them to know?
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 4:43 PM on Mar. 26, 2010

• When we got married, 21 years ago. My DH was in the Army. He had to tell them. Or I would not get any benifites, ID, Medical, Dental, stuff like that. Civilan jobs are the same way. In order to get benifits you have to prove you are married.

Answer by louise2 at 4:46 PM on Mar. 26, 2010

• Unless you want to get on his insurance you dont have to. Why would they care anyway. If you want to keep it a secret there is nothing stopping you.
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 4:49 PM on Mar. 26, 2010

• gifts from co workers?

Anonymous

• far as I know no, but when it comes to insurance you probably should.

I once had a insurance problem - hubby and I don't have the same last name, and we were moving to another state. I was there for about a month before him getting us settled and I was dropped from the insurance. Since he had never shown proof of our legal marriage, they considered us domestic partners, therefore dropping me when I was in a different state-
    so be careful with all that!
    Anonymous