Do have kids that want to start doing their own thing?

I know some kids want to be independent but my 8 yr. old ds wants to start making his own PB & J so I let him and man what a mistake he made a small mess nothing to get all crazy about but I am just so use to cleaning myself up after I am done but he left everything laying around and told me to not to put anything away bc he might want another one...I told him usually I will let you have another but since you had your lunch along with a LG ice cream I don't think so...So I just cleaned up his mess and continued to talk to you ladies...lol

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:49 PM on Mar. 26, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• If he's man enough to make it he's man enough to start cleaning up after
    Jan0609momma

Answer by Jan0609momma at 4:51 PM on Mar. 26, 2010

• Teach him how to do things in a way that doesn't make messes.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 5:08 PM on Mar. 26, 2010

• let him do things himself but teach him that as soon as he's done making the sandwich (or whatever) to CLEAN UP THE MESS. do not leave a mess in the kitchen.

worked with mine - the make their food, put away and clean off the counter and then go eat. its easy and simple and they are learning responsibility.

oh, and they're 9,6 and 3. strangely enough its the 3 year old who chases someone down if they leave a mess in the kitchen (she's a bit OCD about it like her daddy)
    hypermamaz

Answer by hypermamaz at 5:49 PM on Mar. 26, 2010

• yeah, i dont think you did wrong in allowing him to do it on his own, but i would have made him clean up the mess....no matter how small.
    aly38914290

Answer by aly38914290 at 10:09 PM on Mar. 26, 2010

• It will take him less than a minute to put away the jars and put the knife in the dishwasher or wash basin or to take them out again should he want another sandwich. You need to put your foot down and tell him that. My four year old knows he needs to put away the jars and put the knife in the dishwasher whenever he fixes himself a sandwich and if it's his night to prep dinner he does the clean up from that too. Eight is plenty old enough to be doing that stuff for himself.
    RhondaVeggie

Answer by RhondaVeggie at 10:38 PM on Mar. 26, 2010

• my 6 year old can make one and not amke a huge mess. We talka bout how to make it and he cleans it up and puts it away of he wants more the eithe rmake 2 the first time or get it back out and make another. Good luck
    IMAMOM2-2KIDS

Answer by IMAMOM2-2KIDS at 4:37 AM on Mar. 27, 2010

• My kids do much of their own stuff. And they clean it up. It is good that they want to. Getting their own snacks is just one of the many things they can do for themselves.
    MommyId

Answer by MommyId at 8:57 PM on Mar. 27, 2010