First they cancelled the prom now this...

Constance McMillen wasn't the first student at Itawamba Agricultural High School to contact the ACLU this year.

Juin Baize was a student at Itawamba Agricultural—for a grand total of four hours.

Baize, his mother, and his two sisters moved to Fulton, Mississippi, from New Harmony, Indiana, to live with Baize's grandmother at the beginning of the year. (For now Baize says he prefers to use male pronouns.) Baize, age sixteen, enrolled at Itwamba Agricultural High School, where Constance McMillen was also a student. McMilllen clearly recalled Baize's first—and only—day at Itawamba Agricultural.

"People were talking about him all day, trying to get a look at him," said McMillen. "It was insane, it was ridiculous, it made me so mad. They said he was causing a distraction with what he was wearing but it was a half day of school and people didn’t have time to get used to him."

CONTINUED BELOW...

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:53 PM on Mar. 26, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• The other students wouldn't be given a chance to get used to him: the next time Baize came to school, according Kristy Bennett, legal director of the ACLU of Mississippi, Baize was given a suspension notice and sent home. When Juin returned to school after his first suspension, he was suspended again.

“Juin’s case was a situation where a transgender student wanted to attend school dressed in feminine clothing," said Bennett, "and the school district would not even let him attend school."

The reasons for a student's suspension are supposed to be noted on the suspension form, according to Bennett, but that part of Baize's suspension notice was left blank. So the ACLU sent a letter to the school on Baize's behalf asking the school administration for the reasoning behind his suspension—information the ACLU would need in order to challenge Baize's suspension in court.

CONTINUED BELOW...
    Anonymous

• "But the school would not talk to us about the situation," said Bennett. Source

Picture of Juin Baize

Juin Baize

Anonymous

• So what
    Anonymous

• ugh this makes me sick this school is so freaking controlling who freaking cares if the school has gays, cross dressers who freaking cares, they are just like you and me just with different preferences. This school needs to welcome the 21st centry and get with the program.
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 4:57 PM on Mar. 26, 2010

• OOps had to go back and change yourself to anonymous. ;)
    Anonymous

• Personally, I'd be a little creeped out too... but to each his/her own. I definitely wouldn't prohibit a child from attending school, every person deserves an education.
    matobe

Answer by matobe at 4:58 PM on Mar. 26, 2010

• You are talking about schools in the very conservative bible belt. I'm not saying it's right, but what do you expect? I know I would have a real problem with my children being exposed to someone so flamboyant. I don't mind if you are gay, we have a lot of gay friends, but why do you have to behave like that. That's what I don't like.
    Anonymous

• so what? im pretty damn sure any mother on this site would be outrage if this was their child.
    Anonymous

• Yeah - too many people on here know where I stand on transgender issues so I want to be anonymous, lol.
    Anonymous

• That's horrible!
    While they may not agree with someone being trans gendered or they may feel uncomfortable by it, it in no way changes the fact the there ARE and will always BE trans gendered people in our world.

By suspending a student for dressing as another gender while still following the school's dress code is absurd.
    All that does is teach intolerance and prejudice.

This poor kid.
    Laila-May

Answer by Laila-May at 4:59 PM on Mar. 26, 2010