How to make sweet potatoes

I bought sweet potatoes and i've never cooked them in any way sort or form...
i love eating them at the restaurants though with the brown sugar, butter and marshmellow inside....
Any recipes you like an do at home?

DDTSMommy

Asked by DDTSMommy at 5:21 PM on Mar. 26, 2010 in Food & Drink

• I make them like you mentioned. do u need the recipe? I also like to mash them & melt some brown sugar & butter (carmel kind of) and throw some marshmellows on top & stick it in the oven till its golden...yummy! If you want the recipe let me know & I will post it for you! We love sweet potatoes! I cant wait to see what people post!
    TAY-NATESMOM

Answer by TAY-NATESMOM at 5:29 PM on Mar. 26, 2010

• I make them like I do mashed potatoes.

add a bit of cream, some maple syrup and away we go.

or add roasted garlic. yum yum yum
    hypermamaz

Answer by hypermamaz at 5:40 PM on Mar. 26, 2010

• We peel them and cut them into fries. Roll them in olive oil, salt and pepper and bake them. Yummy
    Lifes-A-Dance

Answer by Lifes-A-Dance at 5:41 PM on Mar. 26, 2010

• Poke a few holes in the top of them with a fork. Bake them until the sides give and they are soft when you squeeze them. Take them out of the oven and sit them on the counter. After a few minutes the steam will loosen the skin and it will slip off very easily. I put them in a big platter and chop them into several large pieces. Drop some pats of butter on the top, sprinkle with some brown sugar and cinnamon and a pinch of salt. Mash until they are all smooth and blended. Garnish idea: toasted pecans!
    NikkiMomof2grls

Answer by NikkiMomof2grls at 8:06 PM on Mar. 26, 2010

• I cut into french fry shape, toss with olive oil, sprinkle with sea salt and cumin, bake at 350,dip in BBQ sauce.

I also mash them, make sweet potato pudding, make black bean and sweet potato burritos, and eat them just baked.

Send me a message offlist if you would like any recipes.

Answer by rkoloms at 8:32 AM on Mar. 27, 2010

• We only eat them 2 ways - I peel & chunk them, steam them, and mash with a bit of butter, a little brown sugar, and a bunch of cinnamon. Or I peel & chunk (bite-size peices), put them in my cast-iron skillet, add some butter, and "fry" them til done, then add some cinnamon & a little sugar to make a glaze on them. My dad likes sweet potato fries - cut them like fries, bake til done, and serve with cinnamon sugar.
    Anonymous

• I make these wild mayan pizzas: http://daniellecooks.wordpress.com/2009/11/29/thanksgiving-leftovers-fiesta-pizzas/

There are other sweet potato recipes on the site.

ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 8:32 PM on Mar. 27, 2010

• I've baked them up like a previous poster said, mashed them, and used the mashed potato as a topper for shepherd's pie, substituted the sweet potato 1/2 and 1/2 for regular potatoes in potato soup (OMG, to DIE for good!!) For me, pretty much anything I can use squash or potatoes in, I'll substitute sweet potatoes (or I will when I can get away with it-hubby doesn't really like them. . .)
    debra_benge

Answer by debra_benge at 3:32 PM on Mar. 28, 2010