how would you do joint custody if both parents live in different states?

Dad lives in IN
Mom lives in PA
and child in question lives in IN with grandparents

masdomk2

Asked by masdomk2 at 5:35 PM on Mar. 26, 2010 in General Parenting

• why doesn't the child live with Dad in IN then?
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 5:38 PM on Mar. 26, 2010

• here joint custody means you both make decisions for the child regarding health, schooling and things like that. Custodial or physical custody is when the parent lives most of their time with mom or dad. You can do joint in different states just not physical/custodial. hope that makes sense.
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 5:43 PM on Mar. 26, 2010

• We don't have joint custody but we have shared parenting. I have sole custody, my son lives here with me in Ohio. During his dads and my divorce, his dad moved to Nevada. So we had to make an agreement on the schedule SInce it was his decision to leave the state,he had to pay for round trip for our son to visit him or he could come here to Ohio to visit him. He was allowed every other holiday,every other bday and every summer. The first summer he was only granted 2 weeks in the beginning then 2 weeks in the end.Over the year, the time grew longer until it reached 6 weeks.
    He has since moved back to Ohio. I wish he'd go back to Nevada,lol. ugh. I can't stand that man,lol.
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 5:53 PM on Mar. 26, 2010

• the grandparents dont want to give him up.
    masdomk2

Answer by masdomk2 at 6:04 PM on Mar. 26, 2010

• Shared custody (at least in the state of VA) requires one parent to have the child for at least 90 days out of the year. We are wroking on getting summer visitations and Christmases and Spring Breaks to make our 90 days. Joint just means in decision making. Are the grandparents his parents or yours? His I guess since they live in the same state?
    Anonymous