Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)


DH and I have been looking for a place to move for the past 3 months. The place we last lived in was roach infested (we didnt see any when we looked at the place and second day we were there BAM!). It ws so bad that at night when I would go to get a drink of water there would be a ton of roachs in the sink. Even if there was nothing in the sink. We called pest control and after 3 trestments and no improvment we decided for our health and the health of our kids it was time to get out. So we moved in with my in laws and have so far applied to rent with two different people. Both times we were denied. e know the people we just moved from will sue us for remander of rent (we are going to try to counter sue for them having safety and health hazards in the unit). Ia lso looked at DH's credit score and there is a lot of debt. Should we apply for bankruptcy? There seems to be too much to pay off.

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 6:08 PM on Mar. 26, 2010 in Money & Work

Answers (8)
  • NO!

    Answer by shortycmlb at 6:27 PM on Mar. 26, 2010

  • Research it and see if it is for you.
    I know DH and I are looking in to it and talking to his father who is a lawyer. DH was stupid young and we can't do anything because of his credit.

    Answer by Anonymous at 7:33 PM on Mar. 26, 2010

  • It stays on your credit for 7 to 10 years, and employers ask if you have EVER filed. I would be most concerned because you had to look at his credit report to see the debt. You should know your financial situation, and your husband's.

    Answer by whiteroses82 at 8:44 PM on Mar. 26, 2010

  • As a landlady, I don't see how bankruptcy will help you move to another place. That would tell me you don't care enough to pay your bills. So I would wonder if you are going to pay me. If you pay your bills and pay them on time, his credit score will go up regardless of how much debt is there. Your income/debt ratio will improve in time also, that will allow you to move forward. If you receive a large tax return, use half of it to pay bills and save half to buy a house. Many times it's easier to get a mortgage than to rent because the bank knows if you default they can take the house.

    Answer by CorrinaWithrow at 8:51 PM on Mar. 26, 2010

  • I would save filing for BK for if you ever get into a tough situation like major health crisis aftermath, forclosure, or reposession. It actually will be harder and many things are actually not removed from your credit report!!! It is not an easy way out. Just keep looking for a new place as well as file a health hazard on the prior landlord!

    Answer by mom2priceboys at 11:13 PM on Mar. 26, 2010

  • You may not earn enough to file...


    Answer by rkoloms at 8:07 AM on Mar. 27, 2010

  • NO! Read again what the landlady said....she is correct.

    Answer by Anonymous at 2:15 AM on Apr. 6, 2010

  • If you are overwhelmed with debt, I can help!

    I am the owner of Dynasty Financial Services and would be more than happy to discuss your situation with you and offer you some relief.

    You can message me here or contact me 877-642-4812 anytime day or night. You can also visit my website

    There is a light at the end of the tunnel...I promise!

    Answer by DFSNIKKI at 11:04 AM on Apr. 7, 2010

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.