Anyone or your DH have a motorcycle?

Hubby has a GSXR750. He commutes an hour each way daily and the damn thing needs a fill up EVERY DAY. Is this normal??? Also, the oil changes cost us like $60. Is this normal??? He needs the 25,000 mile maintenance and the mechanic says it'll be around $500! Is that normal??? This bike is going to KILL us!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:51 PM on Mar. 26, 2010 in Just for Fun

• My husband fills up every day too. It's normal because of how small the gas tank is. A 25,000 mile maintenance sounds right too. As for the oil change, why isn't he doing it himself. They are easy on bikes. The nice thing about owning bikes is you can do a lot of the maintenance yourself and can save a lot of money that way. That is why my bike isn't working yet. We refuse to pay someone to do something we can do (we just have to find the time first).
    purpleducky

Answer by purpleducky at 8:32 PM on Mar. 26, 2010

• Well, the gas tank on a bike is a lot smaller than one in a car, so you need to keep that in mind too. Having said that, it should get much better mileage than a car, my bike (which had a heavier motor than your hubby's, 990cc) got about 40-ish miles a gallon. Are you going to the Honda dealer for the oil changes? You could probably get it a little cheaper elsewhere... The 25,000 mile maintenance sounds about right to me.
    Anouck

Answer by Anouck at 6:58 PM on Mar. 26, 2010

• He actually did the first oil change himself. I'll have him check with his mechanic to see if it's cheaper. We thought this bike would save us money...not true at all! Thanks for the info.
    Anonymous

• yes he does, he learn to do alot of it himself. i the stupid thing. last year a week after ds was born, he got in a wreck and broke his collarbone and had a severe contusion
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 7:39 PM on Mar. 26, 2010

• All my x husbands have them and it never cost that. Both my Son in laws have them and my son. (harleys) They don't have that problem or they would complain.

Answer by admckenzie at 8:19 PM on Mar. 26, 2010

• How far is your husband's commute?

He does only have about a 4 gallon tank, so if it's a far commute, I can understand refilling daily - though I'm personally amazed he can feel comfy going so far on a bike with that kind of riding position.

But if it's not a far enough commute to go through 4 gallons then he probably needs to change his riding style. The thing is the GSXR was born and bread on the race track; they want to go fast in low gears, and brake quickly, and other fuel wasting things.

Not saying he's being irresponsible, it's just that with a bike like that, you have to actively think about easing up on your riding style to get the great gas milage such a low weight bike is capable of.

mogencreative

Answer by mogencreative at 8:21 PM on Mar. 26, 2010

• DH HAD A BUELL AND IT SAVED US MONEY HE HAD TO FILL IT UP ONCE A WEEK ....WE JUST SOLD IT BECAUSE SOME BODY HIT HIM WHILE HE WAS RIDING AND I GUESS IT SCARED HIM A LITTLE !
    ELIZABETHSMO902

Answer by ELIZABETHSMO902 at 9:58 PM on Mar. 26, 2010

• My husband owns a Harley. It can be expensive to maintain, that's why many work on their own bikes.
    KelleyP77

Answer by KelleyP77 at 10:13 PM on Mar. 26, 2010