Dilemna: I am so tired at night but do not want to let me daughter cry to learn how to go to sleep?

HELP

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:48 PM on Mar. 26, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Is something wrong with her? Is she not getting enough to eat? Does she not have a routine? Is she in pain? Is there some other medical reason that keeps her up all night? Is there something wrong with her bed? If you check everything and nothing seems to be the problem I would let her fuss a little. Especially if she's not comforted by your presence. If she calms down and will fall asleep in your arms do that and then lay her down.
    mrsjonzy

Answer by mrsjonzy at 7:54 PM on Mar. 26, 2010

• I think you are asking how to teach your daughter to help herself fall asleep without crying herself to sleep, right? There isn't really any one answer to that. Every child is different & has different tricks that work for them. There are a few things are are pretty universal though. For one thing, children need a routine- it doesn't really matter what the routine is, it just needs to be the same every night. It is also important to make sleep associations, like she has a special toy that is only for bed time, or you stroke her arm in a certain way every night-- It doesn't matter what it is as long as it's something that is she associates with sleep and only sleep. There is no quick fix for sleep issues, and some children are tougher than others. I suggest establishing a routine & a few sleep associations and keeping up with them for a few months. You will most likely notice a marked change in her sleeping patterns.
    curlycupcake

Answer by curlycupcake at 7:59 PM on Mar. 26, 2010

• well my walls are really thin so we always had to be really qiuet so on night i thought to turn the radio on cause we had some friends over. before then she wasnt really wanting to go to sleep so she would scream....this is after she had been sleeping thru the night.so i turned it on and told her it would be ok and it is still on till this day.
    Anonymous

• I also was never comfortable letting my daughter cry-it-out to learn how to fall asleep by herself. Have you tried co-sleeping? If that's not something your interested in, I HIGHLY recommend The No Cry Sleep Solution by Elizabeth Pantley. It's a book you can find at probably any bookstore or buy online for about $12 or so. It helped me and my daughter with our sleep issues immensely. While she still occasionally wakes up at night, I think any normal two year old does. Also keep in mind, it's VERY normal for her to not sleep through the night, many two year olds dont, and to cherish this time while she still wants so much physical contact with you, for it wont last forever.
    kate_jocelyn

Answer by kate_jocelyn at 2:25 PM on Mar. 27, 2010