Hiring a new baby sitter

I am a full time student and my husband works full time. We had my BIL watching our kids for the 3 hours that our schedules overlap but he had to move out of state so now we are left without childcare. We are not eligible for childcare assistance but cannot afford to put 2 children in daycare. We dont have any friends or family who can watch our kids during the hours we need but my kids have never had anybody else watch them except family or a close friend. I am meeting a SAHM who put an ad out for baby sitting tomorrow. I am nervous to have my children in a "strangers" care so what do you ladies think I can do to ensure my childrens safety?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:37 PM on Mar. 26, 2010 in General Parenting

• I'm not sure you should hire a babysitter.There was this thing on the new saying that a babysitter beating a baby not even a year old.I do not recomend it but if you were to hire someone make sure it's someone you trust 100%
    Anonymous

• Well you need to ask this woman for references, and find out exactly what kind of care she can offer your child. What will she provide each day? Has she had other children in her care? For how long? I'd also suggest seeking out licensed home daycare providers.

Remember - everyone is a stranger when we first meet them. My DD goes to a home DCP, and after 2 years, she's a family friend. :)

KairisMama

Answer by KairisMama at 8:42 PM on Mar. 26, 2010

• I don't know. My friend has three kids and takes in one child and she's really a great mom. Go first on your gut instinct about her. Notice her home: is it neat and clean or dirty? How old are her kids? If you meet them, do they seem happy, respectful or out of control and bratty? Does she have a reliable car? What kinds of things can she do with your child while she babysits? Will there be more than your kid in her home while she's sitting? On the home, is it childproof? Are there pets? Does this woman sit at the computer all day or will she interact with your child? Does she have a cell phone? And then the safety questions.... good luck.
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 8:45 PM on Mar. 26, 2010

• Make sure that you check reference and the sitters come to play with your children without being left with them first. Where ever they're going to be watched that's where you need to do it. Then if you have an iphone have your kids watched at your house and you can set up icam and watch while you're away.
    mrsjonzy

Answer by mrsjonzy at 9:14 PM on Mar. 26, 2010