Switching to whole milk

OK my little girl will be a year old one April 20th and I wanting to start trying to transition her from her formula to regular milk,what would be the best way to do so.

alaina_20

Asked by alaina_20 at 9:14 PM on Mar. 26, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I did it with a straw, if you're bfing that's what i found to be easiest. It helped him with the urge to suckle something.
    mrsjonzy

Answer by mrsjonzy at 9:23 PM on Mar. 26, 2010

• Replace an ounce of milk with an ounce of formula every 3 days and she'll be there soon! So the first day it will be 7 oz formula and 1 oz milk, then increase the milk until no formula.
    07lilmama1108

Answer by 07lilmama1108 at 9:31 PM on Mar. 26, 2010

• you should start by mixing formula with the regular milk and see how she takes it. Then slowly add less and less formula. That would make it easier for for her body to get use to the change. Hope this helps, It did with mine.
    Micky88

Answer by Micky88 at 9:31 PM on Mar. 26, 2010

• I started mixing it with their formula. Do it with the morning bottle/cup or when you know she's going to be awake for a while, that way if it upsets her tummy, it wont disrupt her sleep as much. Start with 1 part milk and 3 parts formula. Then after about a week go to half and half and repeat for another week. You should know by the end of the second week if it's going to cause her tummy problems. (If she's still on the bottle, this is a good time to ween her off of it, too. Use bottle only at nap and bed, then only at bed, then not at all.) After the two weeks, if she has no tummy problems then just move to straight milk. Neither of my kids had any problem doing it this way. I hope it works for you too!
    Megs5384

Answer by Megs5384 at 9:37 PM on Mar. 26, 2010

• Am I the only one that just gave my son a sippy of milk at 14 months and never had formula again? Seriously, I guess he was just weird...he didn't care about the switch. I didn't mix them either. He didn't mind going from breast to bottle and formula or bottle to sippy. The only thing he fought was giving up the pacifier. And that lasted a day or two. Wow..I guess I was lucky. LOL
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 9:43 PM on Mar. 26, 2010

• I also just switched my DD cold turkey. We never mixed milk and formula. When she turned one, we had one can of formula left so we used that and when it was gone I just started giving her whole milk and we never used formula again. Now if I could just get her off the bottle I'd be set. If she's still on the bottle when she hits 18 months I'm just gonna take that too. She CAN drink out of a sippy, she just WON'T LOL!
    sadiesmom87

Answer by sadiesmom87 at 9:57 PM on Mar. 26, 2010