the teens skewed sense of reality

my my my....

so this is the skewed thought process I just got from the teen ~ 'My life would be better if you and dad were divorced'.

background ~ we have been married almost 20 yrs, soild relationship, happy, healthy, picture perfect.

here is the teen's reasoning: children of divorce get more freedom ~ only one parent per house means there is more chance of being home alone, more sleep overs, fewere 'family' nights/outings. children of divorce get more gifts ~ two birthday parties, two holidays, etc. children of divorce can paly one parent off the other easier because they are not standing next to each other during conversations.

LMBO.... my poor poor child stuck in a home with a happy marriage.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:24 PM on Mar. 26, 2010 in Teens (13-17)

• ok?
    Anonymous

• LMBO at his logic! I'm from a split family and it SUCKED!
    Anonymous

• HAHA don't you love that! This is what happens when everyone around you is divorced. They tend to glamorize it instead of looking at it for what it is, a very sad situation.
    Anonymous

• Brace yourself honey, that skewed thinking doesn't clear up till they're almost 30 (according to my maamaw)
    ItsNotSoBad

Answer by ItsNotSoBad at 9:37 PM on Mar. 26, 2010

• Haha...that's funny.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 9:39 PM on Mar. 26, 2010

• i remember feeling that way when i was a child. in my elementary school, there was a special club for kids from divorced parents. they met once a month for pizza and ice cream, while us poor little two parent kids had to sit in math class. it's no wonder the sanctity of marriage is gone.

bestmommyeber

Answer by bestmommyeber at 9:45 PM on Mar. 26, 2010

• Lol! Wow! I guess it makes sense to him. My parents split when I was 6 and it certainly wasn't as much fun as he puts it. =P
    Krystal.Ingalls

Answer by Krystal.Ingalls at 9:45 PM on Mar. 26, 2010

• LMAO!!!!  Oh boy can I relate.

beeky

Answer by beeky at 12:38 AM on Mar. 27, 2010

• I have 2 teens of my own, so I can sympathize :-)

ROFL!!! It's like when my ds was little and he told me that he wished he was a latch key kid, because then he could go to day care after school with his friends. Of course, the fact that most of the time, his friends were asking THEIR parents if they could come hang out at our house after school instead of going to the youth center didn't seem to register with him... ;-)

Heaven forbid you and your dh have a healthy, happy marriage, and how sad for your teen that s/he has parents that are working as a team and parenting, instead of fighting against each other and letting the kid slip through the cracks! (Not a slam on divorced parents, btw - I know many who are divorced but still work together for the kids.)
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 9:48 AM on Mar. 27, 2010

• Oh - ROFL - maybe your kid and my kids should form a support group... ;-)
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 9:49 AM on Mar. 27, 2010