Wisdom Teeth / pregnancy

Can I have my wisdom teeth removed while I'm pregnant ? I know they they put you to sleep so I am not sure if they can or not .

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:48 PM on Mar. 26, 2010 in Pregnancy

• I do not think that they can put you to sleep while you are pregnant. I actually had the same issue while I was pregnant with my last baby, and the dentist called my obgyn to ask what could be done. I wanted them out fast because I was in so much pain from them. The obgyn said that I could only have local anesthesia and that was it. The strongest pain medication for after the surgery (if I remember correctly) that I could have was tylenol afterward. I was in my second trimester at the time, so I decided to wait until I had the baby to have them out. I three wisdom teeth, and one other tooth removed all at the same time with only local anesthesia. I was given percocet for the pain. If I could do things all over again, I would NOT have had the local anesthesia and would either have wanted to be put to sleep for it, or given gas. I am not even going to go into detail but it was not a good experience.
    dakajazz23

Answer by dakajazz23 at 9:59 PM on Mar. 26, 2010

• The percocet for the pain did seem to mostly do the trick, in the beginning it just took the edge off, but then it started to help. If you have any other questions, feel free to PM me. Best of luck to you!
    dakajazz23

Answer by dakajazz23 at 10:00 PM on Mar. 26, 2010

• They don't always put you to sleep. I had mine taken out ( wasn't pregnant) and all they did was shoot me up with alot of novicane ( sp?)
    I was told I had to wait. So I had mine pulled a month after my son was born
    Anonymous