REALLY!?!

My baby is 4 months old. I breastfed her at the McDonalds play place today (covered with a blanket)- no boob showing, nipples popping out or anything like that. This is the conversation I overheard a pregnant woman and her husband saying near to me (I think it was loud enough for me to "overhear")
Man: Do you see her?
Woman: Yes. Thats disgusting
Man: Would you ever do that?
Woman: No way. Its too gross and I'm too fat.
Man: I don't know if I'd even let you.

REALLY!?! This was my first time breastfeeding in public- I usually feed my baby before we leave- she was just extra hungry today. Is this the sort of reactions that are common to women who choose to breastfeed in public places? Jeez.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:18 PM on Mar. 26, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• it's ridiculous that any woman would say that. there is absolutely nothing wrong with feeding your baby in public. when i see a woman feeding her baby i dont really think anything of it.
    jennifer588

Answer by jennifer588 at 10:22 PM on Mar. 26, 2010

• I have a nursing cover that I always use and have never heard any comments. They only time I ever saw any looks is when my cousin was nursing and she did just whip it out there for the world to see. I can understand not using a cover because the baby gets hot and such but I also know that people can do that without flashing everyone. I am not that talented so I use the cover. lol That couple must have had nothing better to do with their time. Just try to forget their comments and move on. Nothing you were doing was disgusting or inappropriate.
    Anonymous

• This is exactly why I try to avoid nursing my son in public at all costs. Sad isn't? Sad that as mothers, we have to be worried about the assinine comments of uneducated, sex-obsessed, brainwashed public that is our society. I feel for you. I would have gone up to her and squirted her right in the face. She how GROSS she thought that was.
    Anonymous

• Just a couple of idiots. I think its great what you're doing don't let idiots discourage you.
    tasase

Answer by tasase at 11:24 PM on Mar. 26, 2010

• I have found it to be very common for people to react in that manner when they see someone BFing in public. I don't care as long as you're covered up. I am all for breastfeeding, but I think that exposing yourself while BFing in public is rude and indecent. If you're covered up go for it. Feed that baby until they're fed.

I think a lot of people are self concious about breastfeeding in public, whether you have kids or not. They see themselves not being able to do it, because it is an intimant thing you're doing for everyone to see. However, kids need to eat .. period.

Don't worry about them. They don't have to do it .. You feed your daughter when she wants to be fed and everyone else can deal with it.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 11:33 PM on Mar. 26, 2010

• I probably would've gotten into a fight ;)

No that's not normal, I've never had anything but positive comments.

I've heard of people being negative, but I'd probably get into it with the person and threaten to call the police for being a pervert. lol

What is scary is that woman was pregnant. She's gonna have a wake-up call when her baby is hungry in the grocery store.
    JamesAndMe

Answer by JamesAndMe at 11:33 PM on Mar. 26, 2010

• by the way I never use a cover. It's less noticeable if I don't. And,JazzlikeMraz, if you don't like what you see? Don't look. Pervert. How could you see anything but a beautiful baby eating their breakfast/lunch/dinner when you see a woman breast feeding?? The problem must lie in YOU not in what women are doing.
    JamesAndMe

Answer by JamesAndMe at 11:35 PM on Mar. 26, 2010

• AND, to add insult to injury for the perverts, I'm a TOP feeder not a bottom. I pull my shirt down over my breast not up. If someone has a problem - they are a pervert and I'm calling the police on them for sexually harassing me. *Gets out cell. Has cops that are within 30 seconds of grocery store, pretty much the only place I go, on speed dial. #5 Try me, pervs!*

I've said it before in replies and I'll say it again. I DARE someone to say something to me.
    JamesAndMe

Answer by JamesAndMe at 11:41 PM on Mar. 26, 2010

• okay, i'm all for bfing and always bfed my son in public (because he was an every hour or so SNACKER) and NEVER got looks (that I noticed), but always used a cover, because as a pp said I just wasn't that good at being discrete. But if I WAS to bf without a cover I would've pulled my top UP, not down, because nursing tops are designed so that you can discretely feed that way.

I get people speaking out against the haters, but seriously? Calling someone who supports bfing but would prefer not to see your boob hanging out a PERV? You need help. Being discrete is one thing, with or without a cover, but whipping it out--- people have a right to be offended. you don't have to like it or approve of them being offended, just like they don't have to like or approve of you whipping it out. The PERV would be the one who follows you around the store and DOESN'T say anything (cause they want to watch). Get a life.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:16 AM on Mar. 27, 2010

• Don't let some other woman's insecurities in herself and her husband's close-mindedness ever make you feel uncomfortable about the natural and beautiful way you feed your child. It is your right. And if it wasn't, they wouldn't have state laws saying that it is okay to do it. You can be somewhere like a concert or whatever, where no one is allowed to leave, and say you have to pump, they can't stop you. It's a "medical condition" they say. You go girl!!!!!
    clhadley

Answer by clhadley at 1:10 AM on Mar. 27, 2010