advice for when baby #2 comes!

In August I'm having my second little girl. My first daughter will be 17 months old. I'm excited but super nervous. Any tips on how to keep my sanity would be great!!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:28 PM on Mar. 26, 2010 in General Parenting

• I have had my second little one here for about a month. My first is 2 1/2- so it is a little different than what your situation may be. The only advice I can give is freeze some dinners for before she comes. I heard this cliche advice for my first- and didn't listen to it. We froze a few things this time around. Around week 3 I realized that I hadn't had a "real meal" in almost a month... then I came out of my new mom haze and remembered the frozen lasagna in my freezer! Just be sure to tape the cooking instructions onto the top of what is frozen so you're not stuck searching for that info at dinner time.
    Also, breastfeeding has helped me a lot. It was really hard for the first 3 weeks. I think I am just about out of the woods. It is really nice not having a ton of bottles to clean and measuring to do like I did with my first. Also, we are a lot more broke with 2:) Congratulations:)
    Anonymous

• Mine are also 17 months apart. I will tell you that the insanity doesn't begin til the baby is a bit older. When they are crawling, etc. Just enjoy the time with both of them. I always included my son in everything. He was, and still is, completely in love with his little sissy. Congrats and good luck!
    clhadley

Answer by clhadley at 10:46 PM on Mar. 26, 2010

• I'm due in August too with my 2nd child also and they are only going to be 15 months apart. It's going to be trying at times but I can't wait. It's so wonderful to have them growing up together so close in age :) Congrats!
    tasase

Answer by tasase at 11:21 PM on Mar. 26, 2010

• Choose your battles. If Susy is hitting Sally, then step in. If Susy is singing obnoxiously loud while Sally is throwing a tantrum. Handle Sally, as her behaviour needs to be corrected. Don't let everything get under your skin. Relax and know that some things can be ignored.

You are ONE person. If one child has to wait, regardless of their emotional state, then they have to wait. It will not harm them or scar them in any way. Infact, it will in turn teach them to be patient by waiting their turn.

Again, you are ONE person. If dishes and laundry have to wait while you care for your children, then that's how it is. Housework does not come before your kids. Enjoy them while they're this young. Plus, the more you tire them out the easier it will be to put them to bed. Which means quiet time for you!!

TRY to get them on the same nappy schedule. This will allow you some peace and quiet during your day. (contin)
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 11:23 PM on Mar. 26, 2010

• Whether SO/DH helped out before or not, he needs to help out now. My DH changes diapers while I prepare sippies/bottles. He'll get the kids ready while I pack the diaper bag to go out, etc. Make parenting a team effort more now then before. Two parents and two kids is perfect .. One gets one and the other gets the other.

Put your pride aside and ask for help when you need it. "Honey, would you please take Sally for me, I cannot seem to calm her down." Then walk away and take a moment to collect yourself. One thing about the second child is you seem to forget all of your little tricks you used when number one was an infant. So taking time for yourself when you can to reconnect and relax is important to your sanity.

Let big sister be involved as she can be, only if she wants to. Make special time for her everyday, so she doesn't feel that baby gets more attention then she does.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 11:28 PM on Mar. 26, 2010