help! my daughter has bowed legs.

my daughther is 10 months old. she started walking at 9 months old and is getting pretty good at it now. and its getting extremely noticeable that shes bow legged. i work at her daycare and i watch her walk beside other children and her knees poke outwards. im really worried and have heard all the horror stories of the surgeries and stuff. has anyone been in this situation or know more than i do about it?? thanks :)

micahsmommy512

Asked by micahsmommy512 at 10:37 PM on Mar. 26, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I understand that by age 4 or so that a lot of bowleg problems correct themselves. Talk with your doctor.

Answer by Bmat at 10:44 PM on Mar. 26, 2010

• My cousins legs were awful when he first started walking..it looked like his legs couldve been a horseshoe! Yes they were that extreme, but over time they corrected themselves....my sons legs are pretty bad, and i notice that at the end of the day it seems to be worse after hes been running around on his feet for awhile!! But I really think itll correct itself! We shall see, if your really concerned ask the pedi about it on your next visit!!!
    sweetstkissez22

Answer by sweetstkissez22 at 10:44 PM on Mar. 26, 2010

• she will outgrow it but if its your first you are probbaly much like I was. LOL My son was this way and at 12mos he looked so funny! I of course was worried and they even sent him to a specialist who just watched him till age 3. We went once a yr and by 3 he was totally fine and walking normal. He looked bad to me compared to other kids but the specialist said he was not bad as far as needing braces or anything. SHe will be fine though:)
    hill2

Answer by hill2 at 11:06 PM on Mar. 26, 2010

• My daughter was so bowlegged from 9 months when she started walking till about 2. She is 3 now and when you look at her legs you would never guess. They are perfectly straight no. Don't worry about, it's outgrown.
    Anonymous

• Bowlegged is pretty common...... Be SURE that she gets enough vitamin D as she gets older especially though. Vitamin D defeciency can cause rickets which causes all sorts of problems (including bowed legs)
    Anonymous

• I would talk to your doctor about it. I have heard "permanent" bowleggedness is due to malnourishment - as it was in my case.... whatever you do, I hope you try to prevent it from becoming permanent in your DD! I HATE being bowlegged! I hate hate hate hate hate it! Some men look ok like this, but it is NEVER attractive for a woman. :( I wish my parents (adoptive) would have paid attention and cared enough to get it corrected for me.
    TLALONDE16

Answer by TLALONDE16 at 12:04 AM on Mar. 27, 2010

• If you're like most of us, you might not be able to afford the corrective shoes for every size your little one will go through, but they DO make shoes designed to make young children walk properly. Called orthopedic shoes...they can turn almost any style into an orthopedic, too...because it has to do with the inner and outer soles of the shoes. They ARE rather expensive (the 15 year old has them in sneaker form, which cost about $130 a pair) but they really do work to straighten the legs and feet out to where normal walking becomes the standard the muscles comply with. They would also be likely to make your little one bust their butt for awhile when getting used to wearing them, simply because the muscles have to adjust to moving the proper way. The pedi--or orthopedic specialist the pedi refers you to, if the case may be--has to say which type your little one needs to give the proper result, too. More expenses, yay!
    JennHa

Answer by JennHa at 9:43 AM on Mar. 27, 2010

• Talk to your doctor to make you feel more comfortable but odds are very high that she'll outgrow it. It's very common at your child's age.
    momofryan07

Answer by momofryan07 at 7:15 PM on Mar. 27, 2010