Messed up Prescription...

Gotta love my OB....My platelet count is messed up, and I told them this before my first appointment. So they kept a check on it, well now that im down to the last couple of weeks they want to put me on steroids "just in case" so i drop of my prescription, and they cant fill it because its for the wrong dosage apparently? And my doc wont answer their calls or return my calls..im beyond FRUSTRATED!!! At this point im wondering if there's even a point in me taking the med. I didnt have it with my first pregnancy!! I wish my docs office could just get something right on the first try!!!!!

sweetstkissez22

Asked by sweetstkissez22 at 10:40 PM on Mar. 26, 2010 in Pregnancy

• If the doctor wrote it for a dosage that does not exist then the pharmacy must have a doctor ok before changing it. Say the doctor wrote the script for 20mg and the tablet only comes as 40mg. The pharmacy could instruct you to cut the tablet in half. If the doctor wrote for 45mg then there is no way you can double the tablet or do anything else to it to make 45mg. In that case the Pharmacist must get a doctor ok. They cannot actually alter the prescription. All they can do is make the dosage from the available strength. If it's not possible then the prescription must be change. To the pp if your children take liquid that is probably why the pharmacy has changed it. It is much easier to get an appropriate dose in liquid form without changing the script. To the op: Ask the pharmacy to try the after hours number for your doctor. They should be able to get someone that can ok a dose change. I hope this all made sense!
    momof2il

Answer by momof2il at 12:04 AM on Mar. 27, 2010

• thats odd i know with my kids the pharmacy sometimes doesnt have the right dose but what they do then is they give me the higher does and tell me how to take it which is less then what the dr prescribed but it still does the job.
    Anonymous