Why do Americans treat their pets as if they were their own children?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:42 PM on Mar. 26, 2010 in Pets

• Maybe because they're slowly starting to realize that dogs and cats are social beings that need love and attention as much as we do, and not just objects made for our entertainment that you can buy and then abandon when they grow up and become inconvenient.

I agree that some people take it way overboard with the little outfits and luxury items, (the dogs typically don't even like them) but I don't think there is anything wrong with taking extra special care of your pet and treating them like part of the family.

And not all Americans treat their pets this way, there is still way too much animal abuse and neglect in this country.
    moniquinha

Answer by moniquinha at 10:51 PM on Mar. 26, 2010

• i hate when people call them "my baby".
    Anonymous

• Because they mind better. And because we can...also...it's nunya business.
    Anonymous

• my pit is part of the family but i dont treat him like he is a child. i can understand older people doing it though.
    Anonymous

• People love their pets and see them as members of their family.
    Anonymous

• Because pets are a living creature that provides an outlet for affection, partly, and the pet depends on the owner for its well-being and shows affection of a kind in turn. A pet makes a person feel good about themselves.

Answer by Bmat at 10:46 PM on Mar. 26, 2010

• Aaahhhhh...I love my dog. He is my baby:) When the children were young, they would be so happy to see me when I came home from work, but now they are all grown and gone. The dog is thrilled when I walk through the door at the end of a long day. Yes, he is my baby.
    momx3gx1b

Answer by momx3gx1b at 10:46 PM on Mar. 26, 2010

• You tend to have to care for a pet (those that take good care of them any way) just as much a child..maybe not as much attention..but you still have to feed, bathe, get proper health care, and all that jazz...and they learn and do things..so yea they are like family members i suppose...they talk a lot less $#*t than family!!! HA!
    Anonymous

• Because my dogs are part of the familly. They are my babies - they just have fur! I love them - that's why!
    Katt709

Answer by Katt709 at 10:51 PM on Mar. 26, 2010

• I've lived all over - not just in the US, and this isn't just something American's do. Right now, we live in Japan and many people here do the same thing.

I'm not saying that it's a good or a bad thing. Just that it's not just an American thing.
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 10:58 PM on Mar. 26, 2010