root canals and kids

my daughter went to the dentist and she was a few months late going for her 6mos. checkup. Anyways she has a cavity on one part of her tooth and they say she needs a root canal. i was shocked as she has x-rays every year. They said it probably started shortly after the last x ray. She just turned 12 and I feel sick for her. I have had many big cavities and always just had to have them filled. Her tooth isn't even broken or black looking. They said it was to the nerve so that is why she needs a root canal. I am sure I have had cavities to the nerve before filled, as i usually don't use novacaine when I have them drilled. I remember the dentist saying well it will hurt because I am by the nerve, and it did hurt more. So do you think there is any hope they are wrong and she doesn't need one?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:48 PM on Mar. 26, 2010 in Health

• Root canals aren't that bad. I had one and they coudn't even get my tooth and nerve all the way numb. It'll be fine. No worse than a filling. I went right back to work.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 10:56 PM on Mar. 26, 2010

• I absolutely hate going to the dentist. I have had 2 root canals (probably because I put off going to the dentist) but anyway, the root canals, I thought, weren't as bad as just getting a filling.
    Anonymous