Pagans... Do you love it when...

Christian websites back up the historical truths about holidays..

I was reading another post about where easter came from. And one of the first posters said the origin was Ostara and was Pagan. Then the next dozen or so posts were all about how Easter is about Jesus and this woman was a nut bag... Then there was a post full of links - each one came from a different CHRISTIAN website and not a Pagan or religiously neutral one... And they all backed up the idea that Easter is Pagan - not christian. And what I liked best was that they were all mostly from the more main stream Christian faiths too, not the stuff people classify as cults (mormons or Jws... - and yes, I know they aren't cults, they are just seen that way by many)...

Anyways, do you ever feel a little vindicated when this happens? Like "That's what I said - and I'm right" kind of feeling? I love it!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:36 PM on Mar. 26, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• Two thumbs up for this one!!
    Anonymous

• First of all you are showing your immaturity. Arguing about how Easter is Pagan and not Christian is very trivial argument. When Rome conquered Jerusalem quite naturally they were going to be introduced to the pagan religion. There were sects in the Jewish community that either followed for political reasons or were radically against their religion. The whole point of Easter (the pagan holiday) was that Jesus rose from the grave and conquered death that day which has now made it HOLY! Thank You Jesus!!!!!

Anonymous

• Them crazy Christian folk.
    Imogine

Answer by Imogine at 11:47 PM on Mar. 26, 2010

• Jesus celebrated the Passover, that was the last supper, before he was crucified. He did not put up bunnies, hunt eggs or have a easter ham. All of those things come from pagan practices in teh celebration that worships fertility goddess Ishtar. Please anon before you say something, research. I am a Christian (with no religion, I want to clarify that) so it was hard for me to put away my "traditions". Using the pagan symbols but calling it a Christian holiday makes it UNHOLY and a sin (especially if you have had the truth put before you). Christmas is also the same and has many pagan pratices put into it. All of this was done by the early church to help the pagans they were "converting" feel more comfortable by letting them keep their traditions and making them "religious" holidays. But Christ did not make the use of pagan symbols holy- ever!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:05 AM on Mar. 27, 2010

• Oh and op- even as a Christian it is nice to see so much proof about the truth out there!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:06 AM on Mar. 27, 2010

• anon. celebrations are always in order biblically. you are giving jw teaching.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:13 AM on Mar. 27, 2010

• interesting... I like to say two things...
    1st That is true some of the things used at Easter were pagan but have you not heard the scripture that says God will turn things around for God to those who LOVE HIM. What would be Un Holy is worshipping the bunny and the egg. Using the egg to explain the trinity is not unholy but a teaching tool. Im not sure what they do with the bunny except that He is giving and blessings others with eggs lol Anyway my point is God can use anything and turn it around for GOD

Lastly , pp ... I do not know if you are a Christian or not but the bible speaks against calling anyone a fool.
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 2:14 AM on Mar. 27, 2010

• Ostara or the vernal (spring) equinox is the natural manifestation of the rebirth or resurrection of the SUN, the return of warmth and fertility to Mother Earth, allowing the planting and growing of crops to feed the people for the next year and the winter to come. As such it can also represent the resurrection of the SON of God, celebrated around the same time as the vernal equinox. Why all the fighting here? It is simple fact that the holiday now known and celebrated as Easter was once of Pagan origin, but is now celebrated by Christians as the resurrection of their God's son. It is also celebrated by many other people, who are neither Christian nor Pagan, as simply the return of spring. Let everyone celebrate what and how they please, and just be happy that we have friends and loved ones to celebrate with.
    pagan_mama

Answer by pagan_mama at 9:34 AM on Mar. 27, 2010

• No, never really think about it or worry about it honestly.
    I dont go to those types of sites either. If something intrigues me Ill research it but otherwise I dont bother trying to vindicate anything.
    Amaranth361

Answer by Amaranth361 at 11:07 AM on Mar. 27, 2010

• I always think it is nice when people look into history & accept it for what it is rather than try to twist it to their own needs.
    Anonymous