Sex education without permission

I have a 10 year old daugher and 3 sons. I teach my children about sex but of course it is age appropriate and add on as they get older. Well, anyway my 10 year old is starting to bud and we are getting use to the training bra, after that of course in about a year I planned on telling her more information about her hormones and period. Well she comes home evening at dinner and tells me that in about 3 years she is gong to have a period and that her periods were practice pregnancies. I kid you not, I was hotter than hot. I called the school to find out they did not have a permission slip for this? The school agreed but now she knows more information that I think she should know right now. How would you hand the rest? How would you explain it without giving TMI?

ptomom678

Asked by ptomom678 at 12:19 AM on Mar. 27, 2010 in General Parenting

• Oh, and the way I would handle it is to sit down with her and explain the mechanics a little bit. 10 year olds can understand a lot more than we give them credit for. You don't have to go into lutenizing hormone surges and estrogen thresholds lol, but explain about the cycle, what it consists of, what it means for her, and ask if she has any questions or would like to talk about anything.
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 12:33 AM on Mar. 27, 2010

• I started my period at 11-in fifth grade. My mom hadn't really told me anything about it. While I'm not condoning what the school did, it may be better for her to know sooner. Girls are starting earlier and earlier now and waiting until 13 seems a little late to me.
    ArkTech

Answer by ArkTech at 12:23 AM on Mar. 27, 2010

• I started at 12, but I was going to gradually break her in. you know the boobs first, then the peiod, then why to wait and have sex. i did not want to bombard her with information. you know what I mean?
    ptomom678

Answer by ptomom678 at 12:26 AM on Mar. 27, 2010

• She knows it, you can't unring the bell. Maybe have a talk with her but take her lead. See what they told her and if she had any questions.

My oldest daughter in 9 and already knows she's going to see "the movie" next year. Yes, she uses air quotes. However, she knows a lot of the stuff, not the nitty gritty details of course. She has known about periods for a few years and she has the basis of how a baby is made (ie egg sperm not how the sperm gets to the egg). She had questions when I was pregnant the other two times.

Also, the American Girl book, The Care and Keep of You might be a helpful tool. We have it my daughter has read it. I will warm you to look at it first because it does explain how to use a tampon. That's the most graphic I remember right now. I don't remember there being a lot about sex.
    heatheryn

Answer by heatheryn at 12:27 AM on Mar. 27, 2010

• Considering some kids start as early as 8 and will be talking about it...be glad she was informed properly and nnot by some kids. She really needs to already know about before she stars. A year may be too late to wait.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 12:27 AM on Mar. 27, 2010

• Um, I don't really see a problem. Are you trying to hide the facts from her? Why not discuss it logically instead of trying to lay blame on the school. See, this is the problem with parents these days.... It's never enough for you is it? Wanting to blame someone for something... it never ends. And at ten, you think she knows too much? Seriously... she could start her period anyday. What are you going to tell her when this happens?? Get over it and get on with life.. it's not worth getting your feathers ruffled.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:28 AM on Mar. 27, 2010

• I know 3 girls who got their first periods at nine. Waiting another year could mean a traumatizing experience for her. So I agree that maybe you were a little behind the ball here. The only problem I would have with the school talking about sex and puberty education is that I wouldn't get to do it. I want to be the one to teach my children about their bodies, I feel it's my right and my job as their mother, but I do see how you would be upset. You should definately bring this to their attention and make sure it won't happen again.
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 12:30 AM on Mar. 27, 2010

• and how many tweens do you have? particulary girls?
    ptomom678

Answer by ptomom678 at 12:31 AM on Mar. 27, 2010

• btw I was talking to bradenismyson.
    ptomom678

• I remember learning from my friends at about age 10, my mom wanted to wait for me too.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 12:33 AM on Mar. 27, 2010