Surprise! You may start having $150 to $240 a month taken from your paycheck! Can you afford it?

The Class Act, otherwise known as the Community Living Assistance Services and Support Act, is the federal government's first long-term care insurance program.

Under-reported and the under the radar of most lawmakers, the program will allow workers to have an average of roughly $150 or $240 a month, based on age and salary, automatically deducted from their paycheck to save for long-term care.

The deduction will work on a sliding scale based on age. Younger workers will be charged less, older workers more. The Congressional Budget Office pegged the average monthly deduction at $146. The Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services put it higher, at $240.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2010/03/26/little-known-long-termhealth-care-provision-budget-buster-say-critics/

yourspecialkid

Asked by yourspecialkid at 12:59 AM on Mar. 27, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 12:59 AM on Mar. 27, 2010

• NO! I can't afford any of this sh** that the government is going to force me to pay. May as well save up now and move to Australia
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:01 AM on Mar. 27, 2010

• I don't know about you ladies, but my husband and I don't need this. We have been saving for retirement since we started our first job.

Besides, who can afford this on top of the new premiums and/or taxes people will have to pay?
    yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 1:01 AM on Mar. 27, 2010

• LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Guys, really? Do you think you have all the answers. It's not going to work that way. Take a Xanax and go to bed.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:04 AM on Mar. 27, 2010

• Oh wow. Considering I only make around $800 per month, that's pretty steep. Maybe I should just quit my job and go on PA. That's what they all want anyway, right? For us all to be dependent on the government.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:21 AM on Mar. 27, 2010

LOL right back at you! Please tell us, Miss Xanax popping expert just how it will work. Unless you actually have the nuts and bolts of it why don't YOU take a pill and go to bed. I would be willing to wager a years wages that I know more about it than you do.
    yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 1:25 AM on Mar. 27, 2010

• Oh God NO! So they slipped this into the newly passed HCR bill!?!?!

Crap!

Forgive me, I'm tired so I am not sure I am reading that right!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:27 AM on Mar. 27, 2010

• Holy buckets! This is in the bill! WTH! I'm already going to get fined over the insurance. Maybe I should just go ahead and ask for the euthanasia I mean end of life counseling now.

Serious. This is a bunch of sht.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:36 AM on Mar. 27, 2010

• RIght there with ya Anon 12:36
    ShortMommytobe

Answer by ShortMommytobe at 1:55 AM on Mar. 27, 2010

• Doesn't it say, based on income? they are not going to take away your rent or things you need. If they do, then complain. But you can afford cable and not this amount for insurance, something is wrong.
    They will not fine you if you are too poor to afford it. Why arent' yall reading this before you respond??
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:35 AM on Mar. 27, 2010