Praying about becoming a foster parent

Hi. My dh and I have 1 dd4 and 1 ds5, and have decided to pray about becoming foster parents/ a foster home and possibly adopting.

On the West Virginia website, it mentions that many kids in the system are ages 8-18. What do I need to be considering? We have a 3 bedroom house, not big at all.

txdaniella

Asked by txdaniella at 1:02 AM on Mar. 27, 2010 in Adoption

• I looked at WV's website. It appears that your state "funnels" healthy children of all races to outside agencies. Perhaps you can get a listing of these agencies & inquire about the qualifications that they required if you are more interested in adopting. Apparently, the state (of WV) handles the adoptions of children 8 & older or those with special needs.

Something that I would suggest is not changing the birth order of your children. I personally would only adopt a child younger than my youngest. I also would take a lot of time to research and understand the specific issues that adoption in general brings up. Feelings of loss, abandonment, grief, uncertaintly, insecurity, attachment disorders, etc. It's not that you can't handle these things, it's that you need to know up front what you'll have to handle.
    doodlebopfan

Answer by doodlebopfan at 12:05 PM on Mar. 30, 2010

• Fill out applications, and speak with a local agency to gain insightful information on requirements for fostering children.

Another thing to look into is Guardian ad litem. It's more temporary, but helps out NUMEROUS amounts of children. Sometimes leading you to be a full time new parent.. foster parent. Google it..... there's lots of info.

Good luck, Make it happen now. :D
    Skepticchick

Answer by Skepticchick at 1:18 AM on Mar. 27, 2010

• Volunteering as a guardian-ad-litem (basically a volunteer that follows a child's case through the system and makes recommendations to the court) could help you familiarize yourself with the process. You could also participate in respite care- which means you get your home and family certified by the state and then basically act as babysitter for another foster family so you can see what it's like to have foster kids in your home.
    Bellarose0212

Answer by Bellarose0212 at 6:24 AM on Mar. 30, 2010

• Very good advice, thank you.
    txdaniella

Answer by txdaniella at 9:36 PM on Mar. 31, 2010