Do you have a front loading washer.... would you buy one again?

We are looking for a new Washer & Dryer and were thinking about going with a front loading (whirlpool duet) washer& dryer. However once we got to Lowes to look at the different ones the guy working there told us about all of the problems associated with the front loading machines, such as the seal in the washer usually breaking within a year or so... that you have to leave the washer door open for 12 hours after doing a load of laundry s that it can dry out...

So anyways I thought I'd See if anyone has had these problems, or if you love your front loading machines... or if you have other problems with them... just anything in general! Thanks!

23wkrmommy

Asked by 23wkrmommy at 1:42 AM on Mar. 27, 2010 in Home & Garden

• I have one. I LOVE it. I've been using this one for close to 3 years and never have had any problems with it. The only thing I would do or add now, is buy the stands that they go on. It's a great investment and it helps with the back aches!
    clhadley

Answer by clhadley at 1:46 AM on Mar. 27, 2010

• My parents have a front load washer and dryer. I will never buy one now. They have a problem with mold and now all of their clothes reek of mold. My mom uses bleach in every load to avoid the smell, but that bleaches the clothes, so her colors are losing their color. She complains about how horrible the set is all the time. It doesn't matter what she does, the mold is still there.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 1:48 AM on Mar. 27, 2010

• Not only will your clothes stink forever, but the room you keep your washer in will too. Don't buy one, in fact this odor problem is the number one complaint in the US for all appliances combined. GE is considering no longer making them because of the losses in sales and returns of the product.
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 7:33 AM on Mar. 27, 2010

• My sister has one, hates it. Leaks.
    momx3gx1b

Answer by momx3gx1b at 8:07 AM on Mar. 27, 2010

• I thought about getting one, until I started hearing of all the problems people were having with them. I ended up getting another top loader, but it works just like a front loader. No center agitator, uses less water (energy efficient) / detergent and cost a fraction of what the front loaders cost. Most importantly, I love it!
    jcsg

Answer by jcsg at 8:26 AM on Mar. 27, 2010

• My grandmother has one, because it's basically all that would fit in her condo, and she HATES it. The seal goes out periodically and soaks her entire hallway.
    LokisMama

Answer by LokisMama at 8:56 AM on Mar. 27, 2010

• I've had my Samsung set for almost a year now. I've NEVER had to keep the door open to avoid mold or musty smells. Nor have I had any leaking problems. I got the one with the vibration reduction technology and silver care. Maybe that's the difference? I don't know. But I would absolutely buy another front loader if I needed to replace these. But, I also wouldn't cheap out and get one based on low price alone. It's worth the extra to avoid the disappointment.
    halfpint_ny

Answer by halfpint_ny at 9:33 AM on Mar. 27, 2010

• I don't have one, after researching we decided to go ahead and just buy a top load washing machine and I love it. Some of the common problems I heard were the mold problem, leaking problem, motherboard goes out once every few years and does not get the clothes as clean (due to lack of agitator). Those are the main things that stood out.
    kc932

Answer by kc932 at 9:45 AM on Mar. 27, 2010

• My parents bought a pair when they first came out, and paid almost $3400 for the set. They're still fighting over who gets the set in their divorce... if that tells you anything about it.

DH and I just bought the black Frigidaire set, and we love it. I do leave the door open, but I've always done that, even with the top loader, so when I have an armful of laundry, I can just shove it in! We've NEVER had a problem, outside of my brother leaving a sharpie in his pocket in the dryer... THAT was pretty, lol.

Oh, and we use the high-efficiency laundry soap. If you don't, you're liable to have problems... the handbook even says so.
    matobe

Answer by matobe at 10:13 AM on Mar. 27, 2010

• I have one and although I'm not the laundry person (SO does the baby's and ours and my two teenagers do their own) I have done a few loads. They do get twisted on regular wash but we love how the clothes aren't soaked and uses less drying time. I would buy again.
    poptart106

Answer by poptart106 at 10:14 AM on Mar. 27, 2010